Cleaning wheels

Hi I'm wondering if you can advise me what to do about my front wheels.

I've used wonder wheels/hot wheels, and also plentyl coats of Valet Pro Mulberry wheel cleaner, agitated, power washed, everything really.

This brown stuff just won't shift, and it's definitely sitting on top of the paint as I can scape it off with a flat screwdriver. (The wheels have had a coat of Gyeon on them in the past)

It might be debris from my racing pads or perhaps from the discs; but i'm not sure. It's only on the front side of the spokes.

Any ideas?

Car
    Cooper
    I think you might be better re painting or powder coating as think they might be past saving looking at that pic

Under Investigation
    Car
    JCW Clubbie :)
    OK, so this is heavy debris from the breaks. Race pads and or discs are bad for this. Especially when heavy braking from high speed.

Firstly, ditch the hot wheels. In some cases wheel acids are necessary, but hot wheels, in particular, does more damage than good.

What you want to get your hands on is a product that can dissolve iron. Products like CarPro Iron X will dissolve iron deposits and turn them then into a water soluble solution. CarPro also sell and Iron X Paste which is thicker and more concentrated.

What I advise you do is;

1. Give them a good clean with warm soapy water to remove as much of the non-bonded deposits as possible.
    2. Get some Iron X Paste and cover all contaminated areas with a thick coat of the gel, either with a small brush or your hand.
    3. Let this do its thing, give it 30 minutes but keep an eye it doesn't dry out. Make sure they are sitting in the shade.
    4. Agitate the surface with a detailing brush then rinse the wheels.
    5. Repeat if necessary.
    6. If some stubborn bits remain then try using a fairly aggressive (hard grade) clay bar with some soapy water as lubrication.

If this is getting you nowhere then as Blueboy recommended, they'll probably need a refurb. Mainly as the underlying surface may be damaged and the iron has created a permanent bond, thus removing the iron in any way will result in the loss of the painted surface.

You can get the Iron X Paste at https://carpro.uk.com/collections/ta...-x-paste-500ml

Use "MS10" at checkout for an exclusive NMS discount :)
    Last edited by Bryce; 27th March 2017 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks!

I took it to a detailer I know, and he fired on some auto smart fall out remover on one of them, it didn't have much impact, a little but not much.

But then he pointed out which I hadn't seen, was both sides of the car are absolutely covered in it.

He put some fall out remover on one panel and thankfully it cleaned off the crap, presumably as the car has a Gyeon Quartz coat on it, and that the fall out would be cooler as it hit the panels.

Thank feck.

Out of interest he then chucked some water on the bonnet to see how the Quartz was holding up nearly a year after it got put on, and it's still the same, the water comes off in sheets, amazing.

I don't see much point refurbin' the wheels atm as I want to run this brake set up for a while yet, but a lesson has been learned!

I'll order some fall out remover for the sides, and have a look into the paste you recommend.

Cheers for your input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Under Investigation
    Car
    JCW Clubbie :)
    The Autosmart fallout remover isn't the best IMO.

Yes, unfortunately, it would have blown out and attached to the side of the vehicle. You will also find it on the back of your car from the airflow running under the car.

CarPro Iron X (the sprayable liquid) is the best for tackling the body panels. A Quartz coating will assist in the removal of contaminants. I would apply a top coat product to help maintain the surface, Gyeon Cure is the top coat that goes with the Gyeon Ceramics.

Give the Iron X Paste a try on the wheels. It may take several applications, but if you see a bleed (solution turning red), then you are getting a result.

Hope they come up. If you need any further help, don't hesitate to ask :)