Double din conversion R56

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Car
    MINI Cooper S Convertible R52
    Bummer, company selling the conversion kit confirmed its only available for climate control models. Will need to track down that company in glasgow!

Car
    Well, after checking up with a couple of companies I've decided against the dash conversion. Had a look at a Parott kit (with the bigger display screen) but decided against it as I don't really need Bluetooth (phone gets ignored if I'm in the car).

So found this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PURE.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	6899
    Has a control unit which gets hidden, and gives me DAB/USB/iPod etc (the parrot didn't have DAB) so think it should be a decent upgrade over what's there. Going to replace the speakers too.

Quite like the look of this unit, anyone tried one before?

Test Passed
    Car
    R56 SD (Black)
    What was the reasoning behind wanting to change stereos ?
    There is a way around it all but it's a bit of work especially if you ever want to update any of the cars modules etc

Car
    A way round it? Im intreagued mate, tell me more. What modules?
    The main reason was to have usb input, as mine doesnt have the usb socket and i hate having loads of cd's in the car. Plus the sound is pretty pants from oem stereo. Have done the harness upgrade but still would like better sound from it and dab

Car
    And typical! I've just found an OEM boost stereo that has Bluetooth and USB! But would it be plug and play, just swap it with my current one? Here's the link to it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-MINI-S...-/391726689030
    If it is plug n play, I might get it

Test Passed
    Car
    R56 SD (Black)
    Most of my knowledge is from aftermarket stereos rather than MINI ones. I have no idea if this is plug and play, it may (and probably will) need coding. I know someone has successfully installed an aftermarket stereo into the secret compartment and this could be wired into a channel swap adapter cable (leaving the oem wiring harness intact) and the speakers could be upgraded in turn.

I don't know how much this helps.

The other option depends if you ever want to update any of the cars modules and keep warning tones. If yes, you'd need to keep the stereo and controls complete. Possibly moved but complete.
    If no, rip it all out and put an aftermarket stereo in

Test Passed
    Car
    R56 SD (Black)
    Modules
    There are loads, lighting, locking wipers, airbags etc you name it there'll be one.
    The only time you need to update one is if you want to change something or if you have a problem or even replace the battery (as believe it or not also may need coding)

Car
    Thanks mate, didn't know there were so many! I'd heard that about the battery needing coded too, which is nuts! Seems it's all designed to make modding them harder/ more expensive.

Test Passed
    Car
    R56 SD (Black)
    I think it's technology moving forward for the car to almost "self asses" and check for problems. Also everything is run through canbus so more need for modules

Car
    Yeah, think that's why I resent technology in cars nowadays, seems there's more electronics than mechanical parts to cars now ( lol can you tell I'm from the old school cars of the ,70's and 80's?)
    I've heard the canbus mentioned quite a lot but have no idea what it actually is?

PS: resenting technology is even more bizarre considering I work in I.t.. lmao