Help fitting reduced pulley and belt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all,

I was wondering if there was anyone near Angus who would be able to fit my pulley and belt for me. It's slightly past my skill set, as I like to give most things a go. Would be good to see someone who knows what they're doing not mess it up like I probably would. I've recently whacked the airtec intercooler on ready to do the pulley!

Also, is there any advice on side effects to different sizes of pulley? I want an increase in performance but also do a few long journeys and wondered if there were any issues with using a 17% reduction over a long journey?

Thanks, and hope you all had a good Christmas!

James

Test Passed
    Car
    2003 Cooper S, silver, black stripes
    17% will be fine on long journeys, temperatures are high during full throttle and high rpm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    Mini cooper S
    Hi James, I've ran a 17% for the last 3 years and done all sorts of journeys with no issues even on the standard cooler

Paul.

Ok brilliant. Does anyone have any experience of using the 20% reduction pulleys from Orranje?

Car
    Mini cooper S
    From what I'm lead to believe the 20% generates too much heat to be useful

You'll probably need to find a mini nut to do the work as you need a couple of special tools for the job.

You need a specific puller to get the old pulley off, and another tool for taking the tension off the belt.

The job is fairly easy, however there is a wee bit of work involved as a couple of engine mounts have to be taken off to allow the engine to be jacked up to allow access to get the pulley tool on/off.

Easy enough job though.

I run a 17% with an Airtec, very good upgrade

I think someone had issues with a 21% with belt slippage - at some point the pulley gets too small for the belt to grip.

You'll lose power at high revs with a really small pulley, but you won't do damage as the ECU dumps fuel at IATs of 55 degrees to prevent any risk of pinking.

Get Torque or equivalent, monitor your IATs so you're not thrashing it when it is temp clipping and you'll be fine

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Quote Originally Posted by Dobboy View Post
    You'll probably need to find a mini nut to do the work as you need a couple of special tools for the job.

You need a specific puller to get the old pulley off, and another tool for taking the tension off the belt.

The job is fairly easy, however there is a wee bit of work involved as a couple of engine mounts have to be taken off to allow the engine to be jacked up to allow access to get the pulley tool on/off.

Easy enough job though.

I run a 17% with an Airtec, very good upgrade

Do you have any recommendations of good garages/people in Scotland?

Think I will stick to the 17% then! Thanks guys

i have the tools you need to do the job,,,,really not tricky at all,,some really good videos on you tube,,,its only some nuts n bolts,,,its just a mini
    19% is max performance,,,,either 17 up top and 2% crank increase,,,,,17% with not really any other big upgrades will still increase the tension in yer underpants,,,,,not fully hard but enough that other people will notice ��

Quote Originally Posted by scooty View Post
    i have the tools you need to do the job,,,,really not tricky at all,,some really good videos on you tube,,,its only some nuts n bolts,,,its just a mini
    19% is max performance,,,,either 17 up top and 2% crank increase,,,,,17% with not really any other big upgrades will still increase the tension in yer underpants,,,,,not fully hard but enough that other people will notice ��
    Have you done one before? Ah sweet, I will probably go for the 17% just to play it safe. Think that's the best mix of performance and longevity! Should make it slightly cherpier hahaha