Engine Management Light

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Car
    Fiesta ST Edition
    I noticed today that my engine management light was on. I phoned Douglas Park, Stirling and they said to bring it in for a 3-4 hour diagnostic. I only picked the car up on Friday and have only done 40 odd miles. I did have the air intake ( i think that's what it is - the bit that's screwed down) out the other day. If I hadn't reset in properly, would this throw an engine management light or am I clutching at straws?

I appreciate the car is just over 2 years old and has done nearly 23,000 miles but the dealer did say that it had been through their workshop.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Alistair; 21st December 2016 at 08:07 PM. Reason: updated info

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    I noticed today that my engine management light was on. I phoned Douglas Park, Stirling and they said to bring it in for a 3-4 hour diagnostic. I only picked the car up on Friday and have only done 40 odd miles. I did have the air intake ( i think that's what it is - the bit that's screwed down) out the other day. If I hadn't reset in properly, would this throw an engine management light or am I clutching at straws?

I appreciate the car is just over 2 years old and has done nearly 23,000 miles but the dealer did say that it had been through their workshop.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated
    There have been cases where people who have fitted CAI have brought on their CEL ,I know you have not fitted one (you did not say you had ) but by taking off the intake and putting it back on it may be this that has brought it on if so they will carry out a diagnostics check and reset
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Car
    Fiesta ST Edition
    Thanks, I had to take the front bit out to connect one of the tuning box leads. I removed the box and cables this afternoon and put it back to stock. So potentially if i removed the front bit, it will probably bring on the light again even after its reset?

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
    Thanks, I had to take the front bit out to connect one of the tuning box leads. I removed the box and cables this afternoon and put it back to stock. So potentially if i removed the front bit, it will probably bring on the light again even after its reset?
    It should not bring the CEL on ...but it has which tuning box did you go with and was it easy to fit ?
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Car
    Fiesta ST Edition
    I had a TDI Tuning box on the Fiesta so sent it back to get it reprogrammed for the Cooper. Its not the newest model, its this one so only has 2 leads to connect. It took me 10 minutes to put on due to the access issues below the air intake. 5 minutes to take it off now that I know where it goes.

Car
    Fiesta ST Edition
    I have an ODBII Diagnostic tool. I plugged it into the port and it cleared the engine management light on the dashboard. This was even before I connected the Torque Pro software. I did scan for fault codes and it came up with P12A4 Powertrain. I did google it but couldn't find anything. Any ideas? Given the fact that the light is now out I am going to cancel going through to Stirling this afternoon.

Car
    Fiesta ST Edition
    I have sent the tuning box back today to be inspected, but the technical people are saying the issue is my car because they have not had this issue before?

Car
    Fiesta ST Edition
    They wanted me to take a picture of where I had made connections to eliminate that. I had to take the front off the air intake to do that:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	connections.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	6813

When I put the intake back on no issues. The issue doesn't show up right away with the tuning box on. However, it never shows up when the car is running standard

Car
    Fiesta ST Edition
    Just to update this thread. The unit and wiring harness were sent back last week. They noticed that the harness was damaged and they have repaired it. Refitted to the car today, so will see if the issue has been resolved.

Car
    Fiesta ST Edition
    Another update. I sent it back as I was still getting the EML. They replaced the board in the box and I got it back yesterday. Three journeys today and EML back on. They say they can't find fault with the hardware and that it must be my car.

Once the car is put back to stock the EML goes out after a couple of journeys and never comes back on.

Would anyone locally be willing to test it on their F56 Cooper for a day or two to see if the fault is replicated with their car?

It cost me a fortune sending it back and forth and if the issue is my car then at least I could sell the box on in good faith.