R53 Tuning

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    As some of you will know and have seen we have added a Hyper Blue R53 to the line up.

We are looking at doing some work on the car along the lines of 17% reduced pulley, Airtec or GRS IC, Orranje or DaveF airbox and cooler spark plugs (Recommendations). The car came with a PlayMINI/ Scorpion exhaust.

Is there anything we are missing and any recommendations for the above listed.
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    I'd look at a diff bonnet scoop (leap or M7 Vortex/Ram) as they shove more air in. As you saw from my car at MITP this year heat soak is awful. Manifold ? Makes a bit diff to sound and makes the car sound great... would definitely go with a modified original cat mated to a Janspeed or GTT etc . I've just not got round to getting my cat modified yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I'd look at a diff bonnet scoop (leap or M7 Vortex/Ram) as they shove more air in. As you saw from my car at MITP this year heat soak is awful. Manifold ? Makes a bit diff to sound and makes the car sound great... would definitely go with a modified original cat mated to a Janspeed or GTT etc . I've just not got round to getting my cat modified yet

Perfect Craig thanks. A Leap scoop was always on the cards
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Quote Originally Posted by MINI William View Post
    Perfect Craig thanks. A Leap scoop was always on the cards
    Thats next on my list after my clutch 👍
    OBX manifold is good i really like mine

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    New sig coming soon

Want More BHP!
    Car
    Dark Silver R53
    Make your own Dave f air box as he don't make them anymore and they are fetching stupid money where if you make your own it will cost you about 12 quid

Hi William, I use NGK BCR8ES, around £9 a set. I don't think they'll last as long as platinum plugs, but it's what 1320 sell with their reduced pulley kit and I've never had an issue.

I've got a similar spec to what you're looking at.

Make sure your cooling system is up to scratch too. It will produce more heat, I had a cracked head on mine a few years ago and it never appeared to actually overheat once.

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Quote Originally Posted by jdl_1967 View Post
    Hi William, I use NGK BCR8ES, around £9 a set. I don't think they'll last as long as platinum plugs, but it's what 1320 sell with their reduced pulley kit and I've never had an issue.

I've got a similar spec to what you're looking at.

Make sure your cooling system is up to scratch too. It will produce more heat, I had a cracked head on mine a few years ago and it never appeared to actually overheat once.

Thanks John. Always good to get a recommendation upon what someone is using and happy with

Changing Camshaft is a good mod. I run NGK BKR8EIX plugs and found them to be better than BCR8ES on the colder mornings.

How do you want your power? A 17% will give you more, but in a modern, turbo-type way - i.e. solid midrange, but will tail off further up the rev range (the supercharger by this point is spinning far beyond its design specs, and generates too much heat). That said, a pulley is cheap power.

Improve the intake, improve the exhaust. Remember an intercooler doesn't give you more power, it just allows you to keep the power you have for longer.

Depending on the power you want, depends on what plugs you need. Stock R53 is heat range 6, JCW is 7, above 210 you're looking at 8. R53 power isn't cheap to come by - 230bhp is a cam, tune etc if you're not going down the 17% route.

FWIW I have a JCW 210 (11% pulley), further modded with a Janspeed manifold with Tomcat, early-type Newman cam, 550s and tune. Mine make 230bhp, which is more than enough in a small FWD hatch IMO.

I kept the 11% pulley as I wanted to make good power to the redline - I like revving each gear out. The Newman improves the midrange and all-over torque figures. If I was doing it again I might go Catcam, but I wouldn't go for a smaller pulley personally

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    As always it all depends on just how full your piggy bank is.

I'd start out with a good foam, wash, polish & wax and then a load of stickers.
    You'll cut down on the drag immensely and the stickers are about 3-5bhp each depending on the size and colour.

Once you've got the big mods out of the way, de-flap the airbox and throw an ITG in it. You'll get a tad more ooomph and a louder whine from the 'charger.