Seeking advice: exhaust for a R56 Cooper S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Car
    R56 Cooper S hatch
    Being new to MINIs I’m asking for a bit of advice from those who’ve been around the block: exhausts.

I find my 2012 Cooper S too quiet: I expect a bit more noise from a hot hatch when giving it the beans. After test-driving a few MINIs ahead of buying, I planned ahead and have an aftermarket exhaust ready to go with my insurance, but I can’t decide which one...

I’m too new to MINIs to know what options to look at. I’ve listened to (more than) a few on Youtube and appreciate there’s nothing like hearing them in person. And – frustratingly for me at least – most videos focus on what an exhaust sounds like OUTSIDE the car. I couldn’t care less what it sounds like from the outside: I want some which sounds better INSIDE, i.e. I want the benefit!

I know it’s very much down to personal tastes but I’m really struggling to know where to start. If I list my criteria do you think folk could give me some pointers about what I should be considering?

Criteria:
    * a bit louder than standard (under WOT)
    * but not too loud – I’ve got young kids so I can’t go for something daft, plus I’m too old for that sort of sh*t nowadays
    * enhancing the current exhaust note/volume – I like how it sounds, it just needs amplified
    * characterful – I’m not adverse to a few more pops n bangs
    * no droning when cruising
    * not keen on idea of having to swap out a decat for MOT etc.

I’ve looked at the JCW backbox but would that be enough of a difference? I know there’s the Challenge exhaust (I see one for sale on this forum – might be sold though I don’t know) but suspect that’s way off the top end of the noise scale for me! I’ve seen comments saying the Milltek isn’t the most tuneful. And it’s hard to know if the likes of the Alta or Akrapovic exhaust notes/volumes are to my tastes or not. Akrapovic far beyond my budget anyway.

First preference is staying OEM as in my head that’s got highest chance of avoiding problems. For info and as guidance, I swapped the backbox on my previous car – a BMW e90 330i – for the M Performance backbox which was absolutely perfect for my needs: louder under WOT but unchanged when cruising, and enhanced what was already a cracking sounding engine.

Any suggestions/opinions and links to videos (inside!) would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    The challenge exhaust that was on Andrews car only used the Challenge Back Box rather than the full system and it sounded great. Have a listen to the video that he posted in the for sale thread. I may also have a drive by that we done when we fitted the exhaust.

A JCW system may be the answer as it gives in increase in noise and flow and may be the answer.
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    Cant go wrong with the jcw back box. Nice pops quite a deep roar as well. And with a resonator delete makes it really come alive ive got mine with a decat as well. Its is verging on too loud i might have a small resonator made up in the future

Car
    Mini Roadster
    I have a non resonated scorpion exhaust and love the sound that comes off it. Got the video on my Instagram if you want to hear it
    Mini Roadster chilli pack,

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Another one for Challenge system or if you wish just fit rear part of system,the challenge when fitted with rear only would fit the criteria for what you are looking for
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

sounds good wouldn't mind one myself

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    Im sure quiet a few of the guys on here could vouch that my car non-res jcw back box certainly wasnt quiet. If you look up nms easter run there is a video of all the cars going by my ds r56 (pre decat) and Ian's blue r56 are on it as well as quite a few other r56s including a gp. Would be worth a watch to get an idea of the different sounds. If i cant find it i will get the link up

- - - Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/75h4-eLXeMA

- - - Updated - - -

Andrew's r56s withe challenge rear is in the video as well

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    I'm running the JCW full cat-back system (which came with the 'Stage 1' engine upgrade back in the day), and a Milltek Downpipe/Sports Cat. It sounds pretty good IMHO and isn't loud compared with some of the other setups. If you're looking for a bit more of what you already have, it fits the bill. It's an expensive way to go though - I've done things over a good few years, so didn't buy them together. I did notice however that the Milltek downpipe certainly added a more 'serious' note to the exhaust while retaining the 'original' sound of the R56, so it might be worth looking into downpipes (not de-catted!) and retaining your OE system or fitting the JCW back box. You also get a wee power boost with the downpipe and I'm certain it revs a bit better too!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    R56 Cooper S hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by M600-RKJ View Post
    https://youtu.be/75h4-eLXeMA
    Thanks, had a look but TBH I struggled to tell who's car is which. Some range of exhaust notes though.

Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    I'm running the JCW full cat-back system (which came with the 'Stage 1' engine upgrade back in the day), and a Milltek Downpipe/Sports Cat. It sounds pretty good IMHO and isn't loud compared with some of the other setups. If you're looking for a bit more of what you already have, it fits the bill. It's an expensive way to go though - I've done things over a good few years, so didn't buy them together. I did notice however that the Milltek downpipe certainly added a more 'serious' note to the exhaust while retaining the 'original' sound of the R56, so it might be worth looking into downpipes (not de-catted!) and retaining your OE system or fitting the JCW back box. You also get a wee power boost with the downpipe and I'm certain it revs a bit better too!
    I've seen what appears to be a full JCW system on eBay, but the seller is quite adamant he won't post it. Is there a difference between the JCW rear silencer and the 'stage 1' rear silencer, anyone know? I ask as there's different ones listed on minigenuineparts although the stage 1 is listed for 2006-2010 only for some reason.

Still completely undecided as you can probably guess...

Mark Johnston
    Car
    Horizon Blue 2009 R56 S
    Quote Originally Posted by a11y View Post

Thanks, had a look but TBH I struggled to tell who's car is which. Some range of exhaust notes though.

I've seen what appears to be a full JCW system on eBay, but the seller is quite adamant he won't post it. Is there a difference between the JCW rear silencer and the 'stage 1' rear silencer, anyone know? I ask as there's different ones listed on minigenuineparts although the stage 1 is listed for 2006-2010 only for some reason.

Still completely undecided as you can probably guess...
    Stage 1 looks identical but its restricted at the tips they have baffles in the tips they look cooler as they have the jcw logo engraved into the top they give a slightly difgerent sound to the real jcw exhaust which are plain and totally open

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk