R53 Head unit query

My CD player is being temperamental when playing discs.

IIRC the vin data on the car stated that it is Radio Boost, CD player, and CD changer I-bus prepared (does that mean the wiring is there for a multi cd exchanger in the boot?)

anyway, would a replacement identical head unit need coded to the car, or is it plug and play?

Thanks in advance

Yes you will have CD changer prep. When I ordered mine many years ago, the dealer told me all the head units were coded to the car.

Defo nonsense as I swapped mine from cassette boost to CD boost years ago - plug and play, no issues

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    Scottish Cooper Cup Car #3, BMW 320Cd, Celica GTFour
    Yep, never had one that actually needed coding although I have heard the same chat.

I'm having a clear out the now, got a couple of CD headunits I'm wanting rid of if you need an OEM replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by emicen View Post
    Yep, never had one that actually needed coding although I have heard the same chat.

I'm having a clear out the now, got a couple of CD headunits I'm wanting rid of if you need an OEM replacement.
    Cool. how much are you looking for?

Car
    Scottish Cooper Cup Car #3, BMW 320Cd, Celica GTFour
    £20

Need to know what type your car has, the pins or blades connector.

£20 sounds good to me.

I'll need to get mine out and see what it has then take it from there. (its a 2005 car if that makes any odds).

Car
    F56 JCW, R50 Cooper Pre Production, Aston Martin V8 Vantage N400
    Boost are the flat pins and wave are the round pins.

The only gen 1 radios that are coded are the ones that have a factory H/K hi-fi as the system is coded to send the sound via the amp. Otherwise all gen 1 radios can be put between other cars. If a car had round pins from a wave cassette and you wanted to fit a flat pin boost CD player then you can buy a wiring converter for this.