R53 top mount or front mount intercooler

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EcosseGP View Post
    You can easily monitor the IATs with a Scanguage and it'll show you exactly how long it takes for the temps to drop. It also does the job of 4 gauges but if you have dash command I'm surprised that you can't monitor inlet or outlet temps. For track stuff I know it's maybe a hassle but what about taking out a head light or side light and run cooling ducts .. you could always get a pair of headlight covers and manufacture something from them. Removing the AC radiator from in front of the radiator should give you a little more air cooling around the front of the car too.
    I'd have to say though a good starting point would be to look at what the old challenge cars are running and do likewise ... they've made the mistakes and got a set up which is clearly geared towards a track car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    @ecosseGP, its probably not the case that dash command can't monitor the temps, more likely that i haven't worked out how to do so properly yet!

Also, the air con will soon be going. I'm just trying to clarify whether it can be done with a shorter belt or only with an idle pulley in place of the AC.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    From what I remember it's about 5 bhp, and whilst it will take longer to heat soak, you still need clean air to drag the temps back down.

When Ricardo were developing the R53 engine they considered all the different options, and considered the TMIC to be the best compromise. I'd stick with what the engineers went for.

I run an Airtec, used to have a GRS. I deliberately run an 11% pulley to keep temps down at higher revs, and to make good power to the redline. 230 bhp in an R53 is plenty IMO.

IME the GRS ran in air a degree or 2 cooler than the Airtec, but at bursts of WOT the temps with the Airtec don't climb as quickly. In reality there's not much in it. I've also got an M7 bonnet scoop to try and help

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    230bhp is certainly adequate, what else have you done?

JCW 210, then Janspeed manifold, Newman cam, 550 injectors and a trip to 1320 for a remap. And then there's all the chassis mods etc...

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Mine runs an easy 226 with standard injectors, manifold and I've not even had a remap !
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Mine runs an easy 226 with standard injectors, manifold and I've not even had a remap !
    impressive figures, whats your mods?

- - - Updated - - -

JCW 210, then Janspeed manifold, Newman cam, 550 injectors and a trip to 1320 for a remap. And then there's all the chassis mods etc...

interested know know how much the injectors, cam and remap was, i expect it all needs doing at once?

Worth also remembering all dynos are different. Cam, injectors and tune should be done last - it ties all the other mods together. Budget £1k for them.

I went from 210 to 230 with the cam, injectors and tune (according to the 1320 dyno anyway)

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    I have reduced pulley, reduced and lightened crankshaft pulley, GRS IC and a home made stainless steel exhaust. There will be more "bits" added in due course but the current set up engine wise has never let me down. It might not be the fastest R53 about but it certainly goes well enough for me ...

You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Worth also remembering all dynos are different. Cam, injectors and tune should be done last - it ties all the other mods together. Budget £1k for them.

I went from 210 to 230 with the cam, injectors and tune (according to the 1320 dyno anyway)
    are 1320 the only people that do the mapping?

- - - Updated - - -

I have reduced pulley, reduced and lightened crankshaft pulley, GRS IC and a home made stainless steel exhaust. There will be more "bits" added in due course but the current set up engine wise has never let me down. It might not be the fastest R53 about but it certainly goes well enough for me ...

good power for minimal mods, was yours a jcw initially?

There's various folk will map R53s, Lohen being one example. 1320 have been doing it the longest and I think have done the most cars.

One thing to do is IMO don't do a canned tune - IMO the car should physically be at the tuners, where they can monitor air/fuel ratios. Plenty stories of people who have went for a simple tune, which all it did was lean the engine out - hey presto busted piston

Car
    Scottish Cooper Cup Car #3, BMW 320Cd, Celica GTFour
    Or PerformanceTek who are at least 250 miles closer.

There's various folk will map R53s, Lohen being one example. 1320 have been doing it the longest and I think have done the most cars.

One thing to do is IMO don't do a canned tune - IMO the car should physically be at the tuners, where they can monitor air/fuel ratios. Plenty stories of people who have went for a simple tune, which all it did was lean the engine out - hey presto busted piston

i agree with the live mapping, much the same when i had my S3.

I didn't know Lohen did mapping, would be ideal if they do its only one hour from me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by emicen View Post

just took a look at performancetek, i guess thats who you use?

They are actually about the same distance as 1320 away from me!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by emicen View Post
    looking at this website, makes me wonder...

has anyone put a K20A in a mini before?