Yokohama AD08R

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Paradas are fairly rubbish in the wet, but what do you expect from a semi slick . I ran them on the GP and loved them. They did allow for slower cars to keep up/ get away in the wet, Isn't that right Andrew?
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    R53 GP
    Ouch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the AD08Rs fitted today to replace my Parada Spec 2s (very wet with standing water on the motorway). My thoughts so far are as follows;

Sidewall Stiffness

Definitely stiffer than the Spec 2s. I now have more feel on turn in with less wallow as I enter a corner.

Lateral Grip

I never had an issue with lateral grip with the Spec 2s in wet or dry conditions on the road and the 08 give the same levels of grip in the wet at least. Possibly more, but haven't really pushed yet just in case release agent not fully worn off.

Acceleration / Braking

I used to get wheel spin even in 4th with the Spec 2s in the rain. First impressions with the 08 is that they give far more grip when accelerating. This is possibly due to the softer compound of the 08?

Braking wise I never had an issue with the Spec 2s and so far the 08s seem on par, in the wet at least.

Road noise / ride

The Spec 2s were always noisy and the 08s are similar. However the 08s feel harsher than the Spec 2s, possibly down to the stiffer side wall. I'll take this harsher ride for the better turn in / feel it provides.

Aquaplaning

Never had an issue with the Spec 2s in this respect, but I don't do much motorway mileage. The 08s went through a decent amount of standing water today and again, no issues. I doubt however either would be that great compared to a wet weather designed tyre.

Wear

My Spec 2s have lasted over 20k miles on the R53. Way too early to say about the 08s, but with treadwear ratings of 300 and 180 respectively, I doubt the 08s will last nearly as long. However, at only £230 for a set of 4 195/50/15 tyres, I'll be happy if they only give me 10k miles.

Aesthetics

Oh how shallow I am. But I do love the tread pattern of the Spec 2s and not so much the 08s.

Both have great looking sidewalls that curve around the rim giving some decent wheel protection and make the tyres look a little bit stretched, which they're not on 15x7 rims.

Summary

All tyres are a compromise and I'm happy with what both have provided for my driving style. I've had many sets of Spec 2s on a number of cars and after today's first impressions, I'll not return to them. This isn't because they're a poor tyre for my needs, but I just prefer the feel of the newer 08.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jdl_1967; 24th September 2016 at 01:13 PM.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Great stuff John and an interesting read .

A wee update. 2 months and about 2000 miles with a trip to Applecross and Northumberland under their tread.

After some very wet and cold weather, I am pleased to say that the AD08Rs have performed fantastically. I know they're not winter tyres, but they haven't disgraced themselves once.

I didn't measure the tread depth when I fitted them, but they are advertised as having between 7-8mm new. I've still got 7mm all round, so if I change them at 2mm, I should get around 12000 miles a set. If however they came with 7mm new, that means they should last forever. I think mine probably came with nearer 8mm new.

The firmness in ride I felt when they were new has either gone away, or I'm just used to the harsher ride than my previous Parada Spec 2s.

They are also still quieter than my Spec 2s which always sounded as though my wheel bearings were on their way out.

Whilst I'm very careful when parking (not one kerbing in over 3 years I've had the car), the rim protectors of the AD08Rs are quite substantial and offer great protection from possible expensive kerb / wheel interfacing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got them on two cars and have a spare set, brilliant tires.