R53 brake upgrade

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gordy View Post
    Lol....yeah it does
    Really shows above 4K
    Don't think the gearbox would take much more as that seems to be the weakest link.
    Its not uncommon for people to swap for the getrag gearbox though is it? must be a large expense though i guess.

Did you have the car from new?

Ferodo DS2500 get a good name for the mini, probably what I'm going to try next

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Quote Originally Posted by will69176 View Post
    Did you have the car from new?
    Yeah.....May 2003 (still got it by the way)

Sold our 1987 Mk2 XR2 which we'd also owned from new ie 16 years. As you can tell I don't change our 2nd car much....
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

What are you using the car for? What's the budget and have you thought about the back?

I notice that I can heat the back wheels up in mine, which makes me think the back brakes must be doing a bit of work, so I would be trying to keep some level of brake balance between front and rear.

I wouldn't recommend a drilled disc, and stay clear of cheap ones as I've heard stories of cracks appearing from the holes after they've had a few roastings. Grooved are usually fine.

Personally I'd rather put a high quality standard disc (Brembo) on mine than a low quality drilled or grooved.

I'd only worry about vents if you start setting pads on fire, which you won't do on the road.

If it's for the road I'd go Brembo D&P's all round with a fluid change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ would agree with this. Brake ducts just aren't needed on a road car, unless you regularly have smoke coming from the pads. In which case you're driving too fast on the public road anyway...

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Quote Originally Posted by Dobboy View Post
    What are you using the car for? What's the budget and have you thought about the back?

I notice that I can heat the back wheels up in mine, which makes me think the back brakes must be doing a bit of work, so I would be trying to keep some level of brake balance between front and rear.

I wouldn't recommend a drilled disc, and stay clear of cheap ones as I've heard stories of cracks appearing from the holes after they've had a few roastings. Grooved are usually fine.

Personally I'd rather put a high quality standard disc (Brembo) on mine than a low quality drilled or grooved.

I'd only worry about vents if you start setting pads on fire, which you won't do on the road.

If it's for the road I'd go Brembo D&P's all round with a fluid change.

It's going to be mostly for the road, I haven't done a track day yet but would be keen to give it a go when the car is ready.

Will swerve the air ducts for now then, maybe take a view on them at a later date.

The whole car is being built on a budget, but being 14 years old the brakes could do with a refresh!

For the back I was just going to replace discs and pads, with the same make as whatever I put on the front!

Brakes are a huge placebo area for manufacturers. On a small, light car like a mini you don't need 6-piston calipers, cooling ducts etc etc.

The stock rear brakes are fine - just upgrade the pads. Very little braking force on the mini goes to the back.

R56S/R53 JCW brakes are a good value, well proven upgrade and with decent discs, pads and fluid will see you fine.

In the unlikely event you turn into Seb Vettel and find them inadequate on track, you'll be able to sell them on easily ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    Brakes are a huge placebo area for manufacturers. On a small, light car like a mini you don't need 6-piston calipers, cooling ducts etc etc.

The stock rear brakes are fine - just upgrade the pads. Very little braking force on the mini goes to the back.

R56S/R53 JCW brakes are a good value, well proven upgrade and with decent discs, pads and fluid will see you fine.

In the unlikely event you turn into Seb Vettel and find them inadequate on track, you'll be able to sell them on easily ;-)

That's what I'm looking at I think. It needs discs and pads all round anyway, seems logical to change the calipers at the same time.

I'm pretty sure I won't find them inadequate, I'm used to driving a pick up!

I will probably swap for braided lines at the same time, is there a particular brand to look for?

Quote Originally Posted by will69176 View Post
    That's what I'm looking at I think. It needs discs and pads all round anyway, seems logical to change the calipers at the same time.

I'm pretty sure I won't find them inadequate, I'm used to driving a pick up!

I will probably swap for braided lines at the same time, is there a particular brand to look for?

HEL get a good name, but I suppose any would do

Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    HEL get a good name, but I suppose any would do

They all seem about the same price, will go with HEL if that's the general feeling!