R53 brake upgrade

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    Bridge spokes are I think the only OEM 16s that clear the R56S brakes due to the rubbish offsets of the stock wheels. Certainly the only R53 wheel that did, maybe some R56 wheels did.

Pretty much any aftermarket 16" wheel will clear

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    thanks, i suppose i had better look for some new wheels as well then!

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Are the standard R56 brakes not R53 JCW

Oooops.....just re-read the first posts and Stoney does say they're the same
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gordy View Post
    Are the standard R56 brakes not R53 JCW

Oooops.....just re-read the first posts and Stoney does say they're the same
    as i understand, they are much the same. Thats what I'm going to go for i think.

On a separate note, I'm interested to know more about your 'tweaked' mini one. Having previously owned two R50's myself I'm keen to see what you have done. Do you have a link?

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Quote Originally Posted by will69176 View Post
    On a separate note, I'm interested to know more about your 'tweaked' mini one. Having previously owned two R50's myself I'm keen to see what you have done. Do you have a link?
    Nah....no link

Its all just mild stuff too be honest apart from the re-map

K & N Induction kit, top strut brace, Eibach springs, drilled grooved discs, mintex pads, playmini exhaust and MTH's "Big One" remap(137 bhp)
    I was gonna do the R56 to R50 brake swap as well but I missed out on Elfmans R56 setup he was selling a while back as they were a steal
    I've just fitted new tyres tho which are Federal 595 RS-R's. I thought seeing as the missus hardly does any miles at all I'd try something a wee bit softer....
    Last edited by Big Gordy; 26th July 2016 at 07:47 AM.
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Just keep an eye on the Federal's, in case you don't know they develop very deep gashes across the tread, 4 I think, probably from the mold. Federal say it's fine but they can get very deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    I'll keep an eye out for that Dobboy
    I took 10 year old ()Federal 595s off Mutley to fit these and did notice one seemed to have what your talking about on it......looks like its about to split

Big Craigs just got a set of these as well for the Panda mobile so we'll need to monitor them.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gordy View Post
    Nah....no link

Its all just mild stuff too be honest apart from the re-map

K & N Induction kit, top strut brace, Eibach springs, drilled grooved discs, mintex pads, playmini exhaust and MTH's "Big One" remap(137 bhp)
    I was gonna do the R56 to R50 brake swap as well but I missed out on Elfmans R56 setup he was selling a while back as they were a steal
    I've just fitted new tyres tho which are Federal 595 RS-R's. I thought seeing as the missus hardly does any miles at all I'd try something a wee bit softer....
    makes good power for a mini one though!

i think i have decided on a set of jcw callipers, the ones that are the same as the R56s.

the next question i have is about discs and pads. Which ones?

Car
    mini roadster jcw
    for disks i think most would recommend m-tek in any of the formats (i have c hooks just to be diffrent) as for pads its down to what you want to use your car for fast road ebc yellowstuff (avoid red and green they are worse than oem )are brilliant but they are not so good for track ,other options are mintex 1144 or carbotech xp8
    TAPS AFF FITT DOON

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Quote Originally Posted by will69176 View Post
    makes good power for a mini one though!
    Lol....yeah it does
    Really shows above 4K
    Don't think the gearbox would take much more as that seems to be the weakest link.