Clubman.. Springs or coilovers??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Looking to lower my clubman and fit new wheels in the near future. The cars not used on track or pushed to its limit but is driven spirited at times. The main reason for the change is for aesthetics more than performance. Thinking about springs from a cost point of view but not sure I'd be happy with how the car will sit. Reckon if I was going for coilovers it would be ap or vmaxx kits but looking for some feedback on them if anyone has any. Pictures wouldn't go a miss either

Car
    Mini R53 Cooper S BEP
    I had both setups on my clubby, firstly springs and then coilovers. My clubby was used daily and was never put on the track.

I initially fitted H&R springs but I wasn't happy with the ride as the car became quite bouncy. The springs weren't cheap and I paid a garage to fit them so all in it cost in the region of £230.

I replaced with AP coilovers after around 1 month which was a huge improvement to ride quality over the lowering springs and also with the advantage of adjustable ride height. I did however need to fit spacers to my R112 alloys to allow a reasonable height drop to the front. The APs aren't supplied with top mounts so the original ones are used which makes DIY fitting a little harder. I also found that the protective coating on the APs didn't last too long and they rusted quite quickly. The cost all in with DIY fitting and including the wheel spacers was around £550.

If I was to do it again I would invest in a good set of coilovers that are supplied with pre fitted top mounts to make fitting easier and then have a proper four wheel alignment done to make the most of the setup.

That's just my experience however, lowering springs may have been sufficient for others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    Mini R53 Cooper S BEP

AP coils fitted and wound down around two thirds with 13mm spacers all round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    Cooper
    My pal Bruces Cooper S is on Eibach springs and does handle very well and he doesn't drive it like Miss Daisy either My cooper was on ap's and was on the deck when I got it but I slightly raised it as was far too low for me, but handled like a Go kart ! If I was fitting another set-which I will be doing and will be fitting ST XTA's as after speaking to the MD of KW he has one himself which he tracks and has fitted them and said it is fantastic once all set up. AP's are made by KW but are their bargain brand, but still great value !
    cheers Paul

Bruces car

My old car

All 3 look really good and sit nice. Tempted to try springs as a cheaper option first as Bruce's car sits well (and it's the best colour, not that I'm biased lol) how low is Bruce's?
    Last edited by Adam D; 28th June 2016 at 08:10 AM.

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Have a chat with our Site Sponsors Orranje and speak with Oli and see what he recommends for your needs and wants. We have BC coilovers on the Clubvan, great bit of kit but can be a bit noisy
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam D View Post
    All 3 look really good and sit nice. Tempted to try springs as a cheaper option first as Bruce's car sits well (and it's the best colour, not that I'm biased lol) how low is Bruce's?
    Standard springs he thinks they were 30mm for the car

I will do William thanks.

Going by these pictures a 30-40mm drop is about perfect on the clubman.

Thanks guys

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    the Clubvan on BC coilovers

The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Van looks awesome. Think if i go the coilovers route it will be aps i think