Looking At Classics

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I've been contemplating a classic for a while now and came across this Mini on eBay:-

Can any of you classic guys give me any advice on any potential problems, ie, blown engine (ooerr :I) difficult to keep in tune, is it worth the current price

It looks like there are no rear seats or rear parcel shelf to speak of, was thinking along the lines of a super sound install there, but, that would be in the future, so, what hassle would it be to get a rear seat set up

Basically any advice greatly appreciated :)

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Here is a reply i received from the seller:-

"the car was first reg in 1968 but was exported to japan from new and then returned to be registered here in 1970, hence the 'H' plate...i have heritage certificate to back this up.....even though it is tax exempt you still have to display a tax disc to avoid prosecution and this was put on the day after mot and displays 'historic vehicle' (great feeling getting car tax for nothing from post office)......bonnet is a fibreglass item which has raised bulge to let out the extra heat from turbo engine,and probably looks misaligned as you say because of the way its mounted but looks good....this is the second turbo mini ive owned and the engines last well but as with any modified car will need an eye kept on them but nothing major and anyone familiar with metros/minis will have no problem.... the gearbox, if any, is the weak link, but this has good box and crosspin diff so no problems there...obviously they won't last 50000 miles.....160 bhp is very realistic with this engine,but will need the intercooler setup that i have, which, comes with it installed...i know of 4 or 5 cars with this spec and performance figures of around 0-60 5 secs....1/4 mile high 13's but if i was to keep it, i would have it rolling roaded and set up to around 130 bhp as this is still awesome performance at that level....as for stereo !....have you been in a mini with straight cut drops? its a definite no no, as would driving it for more than a hour...this car was built as a toy for me and occassional track use, which is why there is no mod cons or rear seats (still have them) fitted and is not one for the classic purists but a mint condition very quick, well built road/track fun car"

Car
    Mini Cooper
    Mmmmm! what a nice toy
    The best advice with any classic is you have to look at it very carefully - difficult when it is so far away.
    How does it drive & what quality is the bodywork / repairs / paint? - get it checked properly if you are not sure yourself. The best advice IMO would be to go down and get it checked by AA / RAC or similar inspection. Price is very difficult to judge but the current bid is for a top quality resto not a quick patch up job.
    One thing I notice is that it is a mark 3 or newer shell but a 68 should be a mark 2 shell so it has been reshelled sometime. Rear lights are from a late 70's or newer mini.
    Hope this helps and best of luck.
    It would be great to see a classic overtaking a new Cooper S on a run

broken_brian
    as duncan said it has had a reshell at some point bedause it has mk 4 reaer lights and getting rear seats for them is not a problem one thing tho i wouldnt bother with putting a big sound system in the car as the sound off of the straight cut drops will be loud enough unless you want to be playing your music at a very high volume and as for his 150 bhp power claim i wouldnt like to put that through the standard box you would need a nice straight cut dog box for that and then you really wouldnt need a stereo

Steve74
    Looks very nice - I wonder what he wants for it?

Would match your S!

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Just exactly how loud are the straight cut drops ?? that means i couldn't listen to a stereo at all, hmm, not sure then.
    I want the car to be driven on runs etc, if the gear box noise is gonna be too intrusive then maybe this car is not for me.

He has it advertised elsewhere for £4800 so i fully expect the eBay price to be withdrawn

well for whats it's worth I don't think you should buy. It's just not right.
    Cooper Coupe...

Steve74
    There are a couple of nice cars that JC has

http://www.johncooper.co.uk/JohnCooperSite/category/Car+Sales%5FUsed+Classic+Minis/

Steve74
    You'd have to remove the sticker though...

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    quote:Originally posted by Steve74
    There are a couple of nice cars that JC has
    Including the price
    I mentioned the sticker to him, he said he left a new cooper for dead :evil: