Great start to mini ownership

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yeah sounded like he knows his stuff and gave a good price also so fingers crossed it's not to bad afterwards and don't need much more work done

Just had a call from the garage with an update not what I was expecting just about everything that was removed from the engine was broken or majorly worn only thing that's not damaged was the bores rough repair bill £1800

They want me to come in and see it as someone has had it stripped before and made a total mess of the engine and probably made things a lot worse than they where and did a bodged repair just to sell it on for someone else to have major headaches with it

Want More BHP!
    Car
    GP
    That's not good at all ,

Certainly not good at all had gone in to get work done on the engine with parts supplied and once got into it found a lot more problems someone has tried to cover up

Quote from garage I'm surprised it was even running let alone anything else

Want More BHP!
    Car
    Leon tdi stage 2 soon to have R56 cooper s
    Thats ****e bud :( was it a private sale or from garage?

Bad luck.

Think I'd be more inclined to find an engine from a breaker, much cheaper and quicker turnaround.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Total nightmare when that happens that's for sure. Maybe looking back you should've stopped and turned around and dropped it back to the seller ... but hindsight is a great thing. Think I'd be inclined to work out what the total cost is v what I intend to do with the car at £1800 it's an expensive fix ... Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobboy View Post

Think I'd be more inclined to find an engine from a breaker, much cheaper and quicker turnaround.

Sometimes you can inherit more problems doing that too which is where the dilemma kicks in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    That's terrible news.... One thing is once Douglas and the guys have done their job, it will be right

Yeah I'm thinking about that weighting up all options only problem getting a engine from a breakers is you don't know how it is and could end up in the Same way as for time wise it's been away 3 weeks already but that doesn't bother me.

I have been looking at this side of things if I go ahead with the repair then I know I will have at least 100k worth of enjoyment out of the engine and rather than getting rid or getting a 2nd hand engine