tyre reviews

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Following on from my previous post, but thinking of the "spare wheel" issue more seriously. What do you guys do in event of a puncture when running non run flats? Is it a tin of gunk and a compressor, which is ok for a small puncture, or do any of you carry a spare tyre. I know Duncan used to carry a spare on his back seat. For example on the Heartbeat Tour, we will cover a lot of miles in very rural areas and on motorways, not the places to get a puncture! Am I getting paranoid?
    Is anyone taking a spare on the HT run......that fits an R56 Works?
    Dont know if I'm off topic for this thread, but think it is relevant

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    It's relevant very much so ,will carry gunk and a bag of luck on a similar note when William ordered his first MINI he ticked the box for a spare wheel ,some of the BMW's we have had don't even have a jack
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Tbh Malcolm I left the run flats on the GP for that reason alone. It meant that if something did happen going to or from shows then it wasn't going to cause me any issues. I "chance" the fact that I run non run flats and if something was to happen locally I'd be ok about getting it sorted. On longer runs its again a chance thing ... I didn't have a spare for the shows last year or the HBT and I've just put new tyres on all round so fingers crossed.
    Tyre foam and a compressor are only any use if the tyre is able to take it but you're in the hands of the gods on that account too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

If somebody has a spare wheel, I'm happy to put it in my back seat for the HT run. in fact it can have the front seat and Sioban can go in the back.........get you priorities right Dad

Car
    R53 Mini Cooper S
    I have been meaning to pick up a cheep wheel to keep at the house, just incase and I can ask nicely for someone to help me out. But just swapped the RF's out and chancing it at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Quote Originally Posted by weefossy View Post
    If somebody has a spare wheel, I'm happy to put it in my back seat for the HT run. in fact it can have the front seat and Sioban can go in the back.........get you priorities right Dad
    ^^^ thought you'd changed there Malcolm but alas it was just a momentary blip

You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    I always carry one of these in 1499:

Slime 1800330 10914 Tyre Repair Set for Automobile Tyres with Dispensor
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003QHY0..._5pJ9wbR1NMJEN

I have only ever used it on the ride on mower thankfully though.

I got a puncture a few weeks into buying the mower nearly a year ago and the tyre would deflate overnight. I put some Slime in the tyre and it's been fine ever since.
    I know it's not the same as using it in a car tyre but I would happily trust it to get me home in 1499 if the situation arose.
    It is a lime green liquid and it washes off very easily with running water and is nothing like the "builders foam" style of tyre repar products.

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    To be honest if I had a puncture on the GP I'd buy a new tyre anyways once I got home.
    I just wouldn't feel confident hooning it with a picture repair no matter how well it was repaired.
    For me personally, using the Slime to get me home would be preferable to trying to ring around finding a tyre fitter that did mobile call outs or calling the roadside assistance to recover me. I'm not too sure how easy it would be to get a GP with a flat tyre onto the recovery vehicle.

Thanks Pete, just ordered from Amazon. Thought this would work as a a great spare wheel for The Beast (narrow and light)

http://minigenuineparts.co.uk/mini-p...6_786_220.html

but they only sell them in sets of 4. doh! Anyone else in to share costs? Good that they go over Works brakes.

Car
    R53 GP
    Quote Originally Posted by EcosseGP View Post
    Tbh Malcolm I left the run flats on the GP for that reason alone. It meant that if something did happen going to or from shows then it wasn't going to cause me any issues. I "chance" the fact that I run non run flats and if something was to happen locally I'd be ok about getting it sorted. On longer runs its again a chance thing ... I didn't have a spare for the shows last year or the HBT and I've just put new tyres on all round so fingers crossed.
    Tyre foam and a compressor are only any use if the tyre is able to take it but you're in the hands of the gods on that account too.

Davy, your comments re. last year's (my first) events got me thinking.
    I did all those shows most of them 150+ miles from home, including the excellent trip up to NMS for the Glencoe/Oban Run with nothing but a couple of cans of Tyreweld and a new set of Michelin SSports.
    Having AD08rs on 17" rims now, I feel a tad exposed, as the likelihood of anyone stocking a spare on a weekend is limited.
    For the season and HBT2, I've ordered a spare AD08r from Camskill today. I luckily have a second set of NM RSe05's, so will get it fitted to one and will schlep it with me in the back where the rear seat aren't!
    Phew, thanks all for posing the question, otherwise I may have glibly carried on regardless, and I'd be bound to get found out sometime this year...