MTH Powerchip Mod

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Wul
    Hmmm - Martin - do you intend doing a "plug-chop" on the car to make sure the re-map is not making the car run too hot etc - i'd be a bit scared of the re-map giving short lived gains by rubbishing the fuel mix to give gains without longevity of plugs and valves!

Be interesting to see how your economy pans out too!

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I would recommend changing your spark plugs to Iridium IK22's, especially if your car runs hotter.
    Also, make sure you use Optimax etc, i'm sure you do anyway

I've never used a dyno and never will, i much prefer my own judgement over changes than thrashing my car on a dyno to confirm exact figures

quote:Originally posted by Wul

Hmmm - Martin - do you intend doing a "plug-chop" on the car to make sure the re-map is not making the car run too hot etc - i'd be a bit scared of the re-map giving short lived gains by rubbishing the fuel mix to give gains without longevity of plugs and valves!

Be interesting to see how your economy pans out too!
    Current reports in other threads are good for economy.

I know what you mean about the long term affects - but that is the same with any mods, at least I can revert back to standard and get it sorted under warranty

quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

I would recommend changing your spark plugs to Iridium IK22's, especially if your car runs hotter.
    Also, make sure you use Optimax etc, i'm sure you do anyway

I've never used a dyno and never will, i much prefer my own judgement over changes than thrashing my car on a dyno to confirm exact figures
    Bonnie, car only runs on Optimax and I did think about upgrading the plugs - havent done anything about it yet, but will look into it. Thanks for the heads up on Iridiums.

Like you I dont like Dyno results - they are very subjective, much prefer my gut feeling as to the feel of a car.

Eggy7496
    will it shorten the life of the engine?

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    quote:Originally posted by Eggy7496
    will it shorten the life of the engine?
    Any mod will have an impact on an engine, it's whether you can cope with it if it happens that makes the difference, every mod i've done i've expected the life to be shortened somewhat, but, i don't care and i'm at 29,000 miles
    A lot depends on an individuals driving style if you tend to drive like me and be careful most of the time then you should expect a long and happy life
    I'd rather do what i want and enjoy the full potential of the car rather than worry about may or may not go wrong
    Latest buzz word around my line of work, "plan for success"

quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland
    I'd rather do what i want and enjoy the full potential of the car rather than worry about may or may not go wrong
    My sentiments exactly , although I wasnt thinking that when I locked my ECU up :I

Sponsor
    This all sound very interesting. Isnt the one and cooper identical in terms of engines, other than the upgraded map on the cooper ecu? What I'm getting at is will this tecnique benefit the cooper as much as the one?? Will it benefit the coop full stop?

If you read the threads sleepy people are claiming improvements for the Cooper, basically from ironing out some of the "global" parameters in the ECU that arent important in the UK.

Happy to let you try it - for the sake of £40

Would love to try it on a One - might have to talk Jordan into trying it before he sells his :)

CooperTrooper
    hey martin,

just so's i have this right in my head, you buy a cable etc, and then you pay for software files?

Im very inrested in this for my cooper, but i worry that u wont get much more than 115bhp from it :dead:

How much tweaking can be done thru this cable? or is it a straight upload / clear type of thing?

cheers!