MTH Powerchip Mod

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Yesterday I successfully upgraded the code in the ECU of my Cooper S with a modified map supplied by MTH. This mod claims to raise a Cooper S to 195 Bhp but the real bonus is it cost me about 40 quid for the map, which is a one off licence fee which is tied to the ECU of your car. If I carry out any further modifications to my car – smaller pulley etc I just email Franz at MTH with details of the modification and he will provide a new revised map.

The other advantage is that I can return the ECU to standard, with a laptop and cable, and revert to the modified map as often as I like (good for dealer servicing ).

Installation is basically a 2 step process, download the ECU and email it Franz listing what mods you have done to the car. Franz will then return a modified map back to you which can be downloaded back into the car. My modified map took about 2 hours to come through - but whilst you are waiting you can still use the car as normal. I did have a small problem, that left my car with no map in the ECU, but managed to get round it with another laptop – was a bit scarey for a while though At all stages of the process Franz of MTH was helpful and efficient in his help and support. I have since removed and replaced the map a few times to check that I have resolved the issue and I am now confident that it wont happen again :I

There is an article in the latest GoMini about a company called ChipTuning, they offer a map which is almost identical to the one offered by Franz for £500, plus you have to travel to them or one of their licensed dealers to have the map installed and removed.

In order to install the software in my ECU I had to purchase a special cable – which cost about 60 quid. Now that I have the cable I am prepared to loan it out or perform the upgrade for anyone that wants to give it a try for a minimal fee (beer and food usually goes down well ). On top of that you will just have to pay the licence fee to MTH.

Franz has maps for all models – One, Cooper, Cooper S, Diesel, CVT etc. He is also responsible for producing maps for most the major tuning companies – Hartge etc. He also has maps for the whole range of BMW’s and some other cars.

There are threads here

Mini 2 Thread

and here

NAM Thread

and the main MTH website is here

MTH Powerchip

I have only had the map installed since yesterday lunch time but I am more than pleased with the feel of the new system. I cant vouch for the 195 bhp figure, havent had the car dyno'd and dont intend to but it feels fantastic. The car feels much looser and picks up much better. Also the mods to the ASC traction control seem to have made an improvement. At the end of our street is a patch of cobbles, when I used to hit them in the wet the ASC light you used to go mad, this morning it didn’t even flash!!!

I will continue to update this thread with my feelings about the new map as it “learns” my driving style. The chip tuning article mentions that most people don’t notice the full potential for the first few days as the ECU is learning your driving style again and Franz made a similar claim but so far I am impressed :)

Steve74
    Do you notice the extra power in 5th and 6th gears? That's where the JCW seems to show it's extra bhp/torque.

quote:Originally posted by Steve74

Do you notice the extra power in 5th and 6th gears? That's where the JCW seems to show it's extra bhp/torque.
    I have driven a works and this feels so much better - but maybe thats cause it was 3000 cheaper

Read the threads that I have posted and you will see that there a lot of happy people out there. When I first read about it I was a bit worried that it was a bit like "the emperors new clothes", nobody wanted to point out it was C*ap - but I am more than happy

Eggy7496
    Sully at sounds awsome!!!!! i want to do that!!!!! so what would ur small fee cost?

i have one doubt - i enquired about getting the mine done at superchips at DG Sports in abs, he does them for superchips. i asked matt in john clark and one o the technical boys they said no matter what u do the map has a history that they can check to see if its been altered, is this right or are they just tryin to scare me off?

Eggy7496
    will u need to tell the insurance, im sure u would but are you gonna?

I am sure we can come to some arrangement re loan of the cable or me upgrading your ecu.

According to the threads I posted Franz used to work for Siemens on ECU's and knows everything there is to know. Apparently BMW can only upgrade the ECU 15 times and then it has to be sent away to be re-coded. Franzs code bypasses all the checks and counters and hence does not suffer from this.

I am not making any promises but I suspect John Clarke are just trying to scare you off. I will have a look on Mini2 to see if anyone has had problems with the oneclick device - that has been around for a while, might have some feedback on that about whether it has ever been detected by a dealer.

With regards to your insurance question I cant comment :)

There are threads over on Mini2 with regard to the one click in which the AMD technician states

"Because you can put back exactly the same program as which the car had originally - it is undetectable. Even when loaded with the "Modified map", dealers can't readily detect any changes using standard diagnostic equipment.

So, before taking the car for a service, simply set it up with the "standard map"!"

The one click is £300 and odd quid and doesnt offer more than a few Bhp for an S.

MTH sounds ok to me, definitely the way to go me thinks

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Sounds very good, but with an extra 30 BHP you should notice the diffrence immediately, not after the car adapts to your driving style.
    As mentioned earlier, your 6th gear should be much more responsive and should also provide more pulling power

It would be interesting to understand the main changes to release these extra horses

quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Sounds very good, but with an extra 30 BHP you should notice the diffrence immediately, not after the car adapts to your driving style.

It would be interesting to understand the main changes to release these extra horses

Bonnie

I have reworded my original post - it did sort of read as though I hadnt felt any real change - which isnt true , it feels fantastic. I cant vouch for the 195bhp figure , I havent dyno'd the car and dont intend to but it feels so much more alive. I havent had a real opportunity for a good long run over some good roads to really try and thrash the car - but I am confident that when I do (hopefully tonight) I will be able to report back in more detail on the feel of the modification.

There are some mentions in the threads provided as to what the mods involve and some things are mentioned in the ChipTuning article. Obviously they arent going to publish all their secrets, but their are some clues

Eggy7496
    i want to get mine chipped!!! do u know what it gives the cooper?