F56 Cooper S Engine Recall

Who knew that there is an engine recall on the F56 Cooper S?!

I didn't until today, but my daughter's car was in for it's first service and they said, er, here have a loan car for a week, we're replacing the engine!

Thrust bearings is what the service guy was saying.

Ours is an early one I think, we ordered it in April 2014 and it was delivered in July that year.

Surprised, or am I, that there's been no mention of this that I could find anywhere...

...end...

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    I think there was "talk" of some cars having engine issues but I hadn't heard it resulting in a full blown recall. They'll be a few owners awaiting the results if that's the case (me being one of them) did they mention if it was just early ones or them all ? Have you had any issues with the paint rub on the door checks ?
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Nope not a lot of info forthcoming from the Service Dept we spoke to today. We got some garbled message that mentioned a service and engine recall from our daughter, but nothing else. She didn't take it to the dealership in Guildford where we bought the car, rather one on the south coast that we didn't know...

Anyway I nipped down there to have a word to see what was occurring.

Yes, engine replacement, they've had it since Wednesday, spent 11 hours on it so far and once it's done they want to test it for a while, just to make sure all is well.

The engine will now be 18K newer than the rest of the car! I asked about the engine number not matching the rest of the details on the V5c document, said that BMW would be in contact with DVLA to change the information...

The guy on the desk didn't know exactly why the replacement, the person dealing with it wasn't there today and his colleague said something about the thrust bearings being incorrect or missing (?!), but wasn't sure either.

They said that it was the 5th one that they were swapping out this week and that the recall had only been notified to the dealers this week also.

I did see a thread a while ago about paint rub on the door checks, but couldn't find any issues. Could be that I'm not looking in the right place, or that the paint colour makes it harder to spot? Iced Chocolate paint with the white leather interior. Looks great if/when clean!

It must be an earlyish one, because we were looking in March 2014 for a new car for her, thought we'd get an ex-demo R56 or a used MINI, but then they explained that the F56 was just launched...!!! ;-(

...end...

Car
    F54 and F56
    Cheers for the update T and I'll see what else comes of it. Going to be an expensive recall if it's every S model. MINI were changing the door rubbers but seems like it's still an issue speaking to MINI staff yesterday. The paint rub is on the inner door check and it's suggested that putting clear tape over the area would be a better solution to stop it rubbing. I'll get a photo of the area affected once I get a chance so you know where to look :)
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Thanks, Davy. Would be of help. It'll be two years old this July...

I'm not trying to be alarmist regarding the engine recall, it may very well be that it's on the earlier ones, but was a little surprised that I'd heard absolutely nothing about this on any of the MINI forums or sites.

They told me that the total recall (!!) of the engine was preventative, in that other parts of the engine could well have been damaged without this matter being attended to.

I'm guessing that keeping it a little 'sotto voce' ie quiet, is for obvious sales/marketing reasons... :-)

...end...

Car
    F54 and F56
    I'll try and get a photo tomorrow all going well. It'll be weather dependant though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk