David Bowie...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    I started a thread when Lemmy of Motörhead passed away recently, but now David Bowie's gone too! Lemmy was a true Rock n' Roll icon, but arguably Bowie was something even greater to an even wider 'audience'.

He has influenced every decade since the sixties, Music, Fashion, the Arts, you name it. He was always ahead of the game, and his latest (now last) album "Blackstar" has apparently moved the goalposts again - innovative to the very end, and its songs will now obviously take on a poignancy that only Bowie and those closest to him would have been aware of. I won't attempt to mention individual songs from his career, as their sheer diversity would defeat me, but I bet everyone reading this, no matter which genres of music they're into, can name at least a few Bowie tracks they love.

A moment in time tatooed on my brain... I remember seeing a huge poster of Bowie in the early seventies in a hip (well...) kids clothing 'boutique' (that's showing my age, but also that my dear Mum obviously thought I had potential, bless her) in the basement of what was C&A at a corner of Sauchiehall Street and Cambridge Street (I think) in Glasgow. He had the dayglo orange hair, the full "Ziggy" make up and was wearing a knitted jump suit! I just stood and stared. He genuinely looked like nothing on Earth, and when I heard "Starman" and "Space Oddity", I was convinced he was an alien! Not an alien as I later realised, just a genius.

This morning was of the few occasions when I literally stopped in my tracks. I was shocked when I heard that Lemmy had died, but this was almost a "John Lennon" moment, and I never thought I'd say that. What a legacy he's left, a truly unique artist, a risk taker and a worldwide (and probably beyond) cultural icon.

"There's a Starman waiting in the sky,
    he'd like to come and meet us,
    but he thinks he'd blow our minds..."

Job Done David.
    Ground Control Over and Out.

Now where did I put my knitted jump suit...?
    Last edited by ELFMAN; 11th January 2016 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Spelling!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Pantomime Villain & Car Plan Ambassador Crombers's Avatar
    Car
    R50 Cooper & F55 SD
    Stunned ............... RIP David

R50 Cooper ..... Mini Plant Oxford

19 years of MINIfascination

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    The brutal truth is that I never liked his music but he did help out Iggy Pop in the 70's to make the first album I ever bought, Lust For Life, which they made in only 8 days !!
    Even though I never liked his music his influence can not be denied or forgotten.
    You were a true pioneer and will be sadly missed
    R.I.P. Mr Bowie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    I never got into most of his music ,but the stuff I did like was brilliant. I did watch the film he was in and found it most bizarre (the man who fell to earth)
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Yep, dropping like flies. Cancer is no discriminator, doesn't matter how much cash you have.
    Great shame, but if you looked at recent photos of Bowie and Lemmy, both looked gaunt.
    Really enjoy his music, especially the earlier stuff, as big fan of early Roxy Music/Eno, T-Rex and his influences are far and wide. Iggy being but one of 'em.
    Seemed a true gent from what I've been hearing on the radio today. A real talent that puts so much of the tripe that masquerades as music/pop/rock to shame.
    'Celebs' today, pah, talentless morons, that the masses accept from the likes of Cowell, the media, etal.

...end...
    Last edited by maxibaby01; 11th January 2016 at 07:12 PM.

Just read this.....totally shocked, didn't even know he was ill. Great words Elfman.
    Saw him at the NEC Birmingham on his "first" farewell tour. Along with Stevie Wonder, he was one of the best I've seen.
    Rise and fall of ZS was defo my favourite album.
    RIP David

Car
    Cooper
    Stunned, just up and read it on here first! Liked some of his early stuff but really liked his period from the Lets Dance period, saw him at Murrayfield when he was on that tour. RIP. Death is no respect-or of money or fame, when your time is called thats it

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by weefossy View Post
    Just read this.....totally shocked, didn't even know he was ill. Great words Elfman.
    Saw him at the NEC Birmingham on his "first" farewell tour. Along with Stevie Wonder, he was one of the best I've seen.
    Rise and fall of ZS was defo my favourite album.
    RIP David
    Malcolm, I don't think anyone outside of his immediate circle and the collaborating musicians on his album knew he was so ill. As had been mentioned he had apparently looked gaunt recently (he often has through the years), but still a huge shock as I personally hadn't seen any recent photos where he didnt look well, or the promo for the "Lazarus" song - which I've now seen and it obviously takes on an almost literal meaning when you hear the lyrics and the visuals are now just too real... but of course David knew what he was doing, as he always did. In the latest issue of 'Uncut' magazine there's an good article/review on the new album - all very positive albeit with no direct interview with DB - and he looks fine in the accompanying photos. So for me it came out of the blue... and into the black.
    Last edited by ELFMAN; 11th January 2016 at 04:55 PM.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Mini Mad
    Car
    r53 cooper s
    a true master of music r.i.p david bowie

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    RIP
    I love a lot of his music I was brought up with it playing in the house
    New sig coming soon