For any Motörheadbangers out there in NMS land!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    "Born to Lose - Live to Win"
    Just wanted to post a wee tribute to one of my heroes who provided a whole heap of soundtrack to my (never-ending) youth, not to mention a healthy dose of attitude and a sense of remaining true to yourself and your beliefs in the face of all sorts of bullsh*t!

Ian "Lemmy" Kilmister of Motörhead, Hawkwind and lest we forget, The Rockin' Vicars, passed away yesterday, one of the last true rockers and without whom 'Heavy Metal' as we know it simply wouldn't exist. Lemmy seemed indestructible, he WAS the living embodiment of Rock & Roll. There was that old joke that after a nuclear war, the only living things left on earth would be cockroaches... and Lemmy! Well I guess it'll just be the 'roaches now.

He united many musical genres - Rock & Roll (he loved Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis), Rock, Psych and Punk etc - you'd see all sorts at a Motörhead gig - he was the General Sectretary of the United Nations of guitar-based music! He even roadied in the 60's for my main man Jimi Hendrix! A true icon, and in these days of ten minute 'celebrities', he's like Stonehenge. To quote from Motörhead's "Ace of Spades":

You know I'm born to lose,
    and gambling's for fools,
    But that's the way I like it baby,
    I don't want to live forever..."

Well some of us thought he might just manage it!
    Rest in Peace and Noise Lemmy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Last edited by ELFMAN; 29th December 2015 at 10:39 PM.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Amen to that!

I was a meathead in the early 80's so The Hammersmith Odeon, Brixton Academy and Guildford Civic were fave haunts to see Lemmy, Phil, Eddie and all the other great bands around at the time!

He was a real pioneer of music, loved his influences from the Blues, R&B (not the cr*p that nowadays seems to have appropriated the name!), rockabilly etc.

Well-read and erudite and maligned by the fickle music press at the time. Great man.

Here's a pic of him with the Reverend Horton Heat as my tribute to anyone out there!

...end...
    Last edited by maxibaby01; 30th December 2015 at 12:58 AM.

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    I used to watch them at t'Sheff City Hall years ago. They used to come around nigh on every year.
    My overriding memory of it all used to be the 3-4 days after the gig trying to get my hearing back !!
    No Remorse was the first CD that I ever bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    Cooper
    Yep used to be a heavy metal fan back in the day and saw them on the Bomber tour at the Apollo in Glasgow, awesome band! Seen a load of bands in my time and certain ones stand out and they did! RIP sir

Yeah, cheers folks. My first 'proper' gig was Motörhead at the Glasgow Apollo in 1979. Talk about in at the deep end! I was 17 and was never the same again. The 'classic' line up of Lemmy, 'Fast Eddie' Clarke and Phil 'Philthy Animal' Taylor (who also sadly passed away recently at 61...). I must admit I didn't follow the band as much after that lineup changed, as that was 'my' era, but it was good to know they were still around and Lemmy and the 'new' guys were still rockin'.

In his later years Lemmy really did become the 'Elder Statesman' of rock, like a more dangerous BB King - another recent departure. Many of the later bands of different genres looked up to Lemmy, so his influence continues. He could be controversial - his penchant for German Militaria was often mistaken for him having extreme Right Wing tendencies - which was untrue as anybody who cared to look beyond the obvious would know, and he was a very clever man who had life fairly well sussed as you could tell from his interviews.

Time marches on, music 'evolves', but musical quality and personal integrity live forever. All I can say is the up there in 'Rock Valhalla' there must be the mother of all jams going on this week. I just hope they got enough Jack Daniels and Coke in for Lemmy!

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Mini Mad
    Car
    r53 cooper s
    RIP lemmy you sir was a legend

Mini Mad
    Car
    Mini Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    Yeah, cheers folks. My first 'proper' gig was Motörhead at the Glasgow Apollo in 1979. Talk about in at the deep end! I was 17 and was never the same again. The 'classic' line up of Lemmy, 'Fast Eddie' Clarke and Phil 'Philthy Animal' Taylor (who also sadly passed away recently at 61...). I must admit I didn't follow the band as much after that lineup changed, as that was 'my' era, but it was good to know they were still around and Lemmy and the 'new' guys were still rockin'.

In his later years Lemmy really did become the 'Elder Statesman' of rock, like a more dangerous BB King - another recent departure. Many of the later bands of different genres looked up to Lemmy, so his influence continues. He could be controversial - his penchant for German Militaria was often mistaken for him having extreme Right Wing tendencies - which was untrue as anybody who cared to look beyond the obvious would know, and he was a very clever man who had life fairly well sussed as you could tell from his interviews.

Time marches on, music 'evolves', but musical quality and personal integrity live forever. All I can say is the up there in 'Rock Valhalla' there must be the mother of all jams going on this week. I just hope they got enough Jack Daniels and Coke in for Lemmy!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Nice one Jamie! I still have all my old gig ticket stubs stashed away somewhere, including one like the above...

Wish I'd kept my combat jacket with all the patches and badges (Jimi Hendrix, Rush, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath etc...), took me ages to do the Motörhead logo on the back with "Wake the Dead with Motörhead" in 'Germanic' script. Work of art that jacket... Still not sure what happened to it, it probably grew legs and ran off!

I remember the bouncers at the Apollo used to 'confiscate' Bullet Belts (I never had one, but they were part of the Motörhead regalia) on the way in, often wondered if they had a wee cloakroom just for them, or whether they ended up at The Barras the following week? Ah, memories...
    Last edited by ELFMAN; 31st December 2015 at 12:54 PM.

Car
    Cooper
    Had a box full of old programmes from the late 70's and gutted to say that my mother had a clear out of the loft one day after I had left home and when I never responded to her requests to come and check what I wanted she turfed them out!! Ah well still got a box with some badges and my memories!

They can't take away your memories...
    that just happens naturally!