Which MacBook ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hi, I'm going to be buying a new laptop soon and I am swithering between a MacBook Air and MacBook 12.
    Do any of you guys use either and can give me some advice on what one to go for ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOVE LIFE,LIVE LIVI

Car
    2021 F54 JCW
    I don't own either but I do have a Pro that's a few years old now but still going strong.

The one thing I would say about the Air from looking at it a couple of times is it's always felt a bit too light for my liking, I wouldn't be comfortable with that. The other thing I know is that the Air isn't upgradable, not sure about the 12 though, so buy as good a spec as you can.

AppleCare is worth it's weight it gold, saved me over £600 on a failed graphics card once. You don't have to buy this at the same time as you buy the laptop, anytime in the first year from memory will do.

If you know anybody involved in education (teacher, student etc) then you can get a nice discount off both the macbook and applecare as well

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Pete is your man for this info he loves his ... and if memory serves me right he didn't get the light one either. Mark Hutch will also keep you right too he's an Apple guru I'm sure they'll add their views in shortly. I've got an iPad if that's any good for a review lol :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    I've had mine for nearly a year now and I just love it.
    I went for the older style 13" MacBook Pro because the newer Retina and Air models can not be upgraded due to everything being glued or soldered into place.
    I was lucky enough to have enough spare cash to upgrade it as far as I could and ended up with a 2.9 Ghz dual core i7 processor and 8GB ram which cost me £1,099.
    It also comes with an inbuilt disk drive (SuperDrive) that the newer models do not have, it's an extra £50 for an external one for the Retina and Air models.
    Mine has HD graphics, not Retina, but after loading up the same pic on two models side by side in the Apple Store I just could not see any difference in quality.
    The build quality and feel is beyond reproach and is up to the usual Apple quality.
    The disk drive can be removed and replaced at a later date, with a extra HDD if I need more memory, and also the RAM can be upped to 16GB if required.
    It does weigh quite a lot at 2.06kg but it's not very often that I do carry it about and if I do its in a quality backpack that takes the strain of the weight.
    If you are going to carry it about a lot, don't mind not being able to upgrade it in the future or have eyesight that can see individual pixels from 3-4' away, the Retina or Air may be for you.
    The cost difference is also quite hefty for the Retina and Air models.
    The Air does have a slower processor as well.

A comparison below:
    http://www.apple.com/uk/mac/compare/...macbook-pro-13

P.S. You will not be able to buy one with the same spec as mine from an Apple Store because they only make them to order which took about 10 days from ordering it to it being delivered to me.

P.P.S. I had never used an Apple computer until I bought this and it is a dream to use. I just will not touch a Windows PC at home now (we have a Windows desktop and two Windows laptops).

I hope this helps.
    :)

Last edited by CiderFex; 29th October 2015 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks for all your advice guys
    I'm actually buying the laptop through my employers, they have a deal just now where I can pay the laptop up over two years and pay no vat or interest. It's round about £30 a month.
    The two Apple laptops they have are the 13" Air and the new 12" retina MacBook so I'm kinda stuck with that.
    I'm mostly going to use it for Photoshop, iTunes, Netflix and YouTube, and of course NMS lol.
    The only thing putting me off the 12" Mac is that it only has one port. Means I need to buy a usb lead for my camera.
    It has twice the RAM and twice the hard drive space over the MacBook Air tho.

LOVE LIFE,LIVE LIVI

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    If you're using PS you'll need as much RAM and HDD space as you can get.
    I bought Apple TV to mirror my MacBook screen onto the TV.
    Using PS on a 55" screen is awesome.
    :)

Looks like it will be the MacBook 12 then. It has 8GB RAM and 256 HDD

LOVE LIFE,LIVE LIVI

So is Apple TV quite good. I fancied that as well

LOVE LIFE,LIVE LIVI

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    I like Apple TV Tam and it's now even better value for money at around £50.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    There is the older version for £50 as Davy has said, which is the one that I also have, but they have just released an updated version which can now use App Store and Siri.

http://www.apple.com/uk/tv/compare/