My mate Tony popped round this afternoon complaining that his exhaust was rattling about like a Junkie desperately needing a hit. He got new hangers fitted about 6 weeks ago and they have failed already. I had a quick think about a permanent solution and came up an idea....

My idea was to weld a tube in to the old hangers and fit a bush for the hooks on the cage to pick up on. After a quick rummage about my garage I found suitable bushes but never had any steel tubing so I took a trip to my local B&Q store in hope of buying some tubing that would fit inside the bracket. B&Q never had anything suitable plus the table legs were aluminium so that was no good. Driving back home I decided to call in to my local council recycling centre and as luck would have it a guy was dumping the remains of his old trampoline in the metal skip. I managed to get a trampoline leg off him and the fit was near perfect lol!

First up I removed the remains of the rubber inserts to reveal the metal support. I cut the tubing to size and welded it within the bracket then press fitted the bushes. After that I splatted it with some paint to help protect it from the elements and was left with this

Its not 100% pretty but considering it was quickly mashed together I think its turned out pretty well. Once fitted back under the car it looks like this

While under the car I also noticed that his heat shield was also rotten where it attached to the car and was also sitting on top of the exhaust pipe so a bracket was quickly fashioned up and painted to give it a bit of protection and hopefully this will slow down the metal reaction between the steel and aluminium

Once everything was bolted back up the exhaust is now rattle free and solid so hopefully this will last a long time