JCW stuttering..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Car
    Full on JCW!! :)
    Mornings!

Just a quick question to see if anybody can shed some light..

I've noticed this happening a few times on a particular bit of road, so I thought I was just losing traction, but I tested it this morning and I think something might be up..
    So when I accelerate reasonably hard (not foot to the floor) and the car gets to just about 4.5k revs, it stutters briefly. I tried it a couple of times to test this morning, and it happens every time in 3rd and 4th. feels like the traction control is coming on, or misfiring.
    Any quick ideas as to what it might be? Could it be a dirty air filter? maybe a dodgy plug? Didn't have time to check the filter this morning, but I'd be surprised if it was that, it runs perfectly well the rest of the time, and the stutter seems to go at higher revs...
    Could it be something more expensive?

Cheers!

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Quote Originally Posted by Burple View Post
    Mornings!

Just a quick question to see if anybody can shed some light..

I've noticed this happening a few times on a particular bit of road, so I thought I was just losing traction, but I tested it this morning and I think something might be up..
    So when I accelerate reasonably hard (not foot to the floor) and the car gets to just about 4.5k revs, it stutters briefly. I tried it a couple of times to test this morning, and it happens every time in 3rd and 4th. feels like the traction control is coming on, or misfiring.
    Any quick ideas as to what it might be? Could it be a dirty air filter? maybe a dodgy plug? Didn't have time to check the filter this morning, but I'd be surprised if it was that, it runs perfectly well the rest of the time, and the stutter seems to go at higher revs...
    Could it be something more expensive?

Cheers!
    N14 or N18 as it could be the ever so common coking issue
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    Quote Originally Posted by MINI William View Post
    N14 or N18 as it could be the ever so common coking issue

14... I was hoping it wouldn't be that cos it gets a good run every day, it doesn't do 'round town' pootling about that often.
    Is that known to just affect a certain rev range? I though it made the car sluggish all round..
    I'll maybe pull a plug at the weekend if I get a chance and have a look. Are there any places around that do reasonably priced decoke/ walnut blast?

Cheers!

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Douglas from B&M (one of NMS sponsors) carrys out de coke and most other MINI related work
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    I think like the others have mentioned it's maybe a de coke that's required ... How many miles has it done ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    As above Ewan, B&M do a decoke. I know Andrew has used them before for other bitd and bobs and has always rated them
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    Might have to look into that then :( car's done 48k now so pribably about time to be fair.

Cheers!

Car
    MINI Clubman JCW / Nissan Pulsar GTiR / Volvo V40 D4 R Design
    Ewan, if it's not the decoke issue, it sounds like it's stuttering as it comes on boost at 4.5k.
    When was the fuel filter last changed, could be starvation...any pinking/retarded timing - does it feel sluggish?
    Get it checked for error codes?

Car
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMischief View Post
    Ewan, if it's not the decoke issue, it sounds like it's stuttering as it comes on boost at 4.5k.
    When was the fuel filter last changed, could be starvation...any pinking/retarded timing - does it feel sluggish?
    Get it checked for error codes?
    Weirdly enough.. it didn't do it on the way home tonight. As far as I know the fuel filter has never been changed, unless that's done as part of a service. It doesnt feel particularly sluggish, and this has only happened a few times.. and only at that rev range.. so I was doubting the coking issue especially because it gets a good spirited run most days. I gonna check the air filter tomorrow as a start. Probably should get a code reader too is it easy to change the fuel filter? Never tried makes sense that it could be the filter tho..

Car
    MINI Clubman JCW / Nissan Pulsar GTiR / Volvo V40 D4 R Design
    I've never looked at the filter on the JCW yet, so look forward to hearing if it's an awkward bugger Most are normally just inline...just depends on their location as to how easy the job is!