Another Big Detail!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Under Investigation
    Car
    JCW Clubbie :)
    Patient on the table this time is my other halves 2007 MINI Cooper Cabriolet. We picked it last June for a really good price but it was suffering some neglect. I promised to sort it out as soon as I could but it did take a lot longer to find availability for it but I freed up time some 7 months later!

Swirly paint, thick with free sap, chemically damaged alloys, mouldy green roof and faded plastics were just some of the things letting the car down. Quite a few deep scratches also, some I could reduce but most were too deep.

To start was a deep cleanse of the engine bay with degreasers and steam.

The roof was then scrubbed multiple times to remove all the ingrained dirt. Constantly rinsing and watching the colour of the foam helps indicate when all dirt had been removed.

All intricate areas were cleansed with a variety of brushes and APC

2BM

Tree sap, iron deposits and tar were then removed both chemically and via Clay Bar

Pulled inside and dried off with warmed air and plush towels. The roof was also wet vac'd to remove any remaining dirty water. This proved beneficial!

Any easily removed trims that would interfere with the polishing process were removed at this point, it also allows for any grime thats hiding underneath to be removed

Years of improper maintenance with a strong acidic wheel cleaner has inflicted chemical damage to the gloss black wheels. I was hoping I could restore these without going down the refurb route. They were removed cleaned polished over 6 hours then protected with a wheel wax.

Whilst the wheels were off I decided to clean up the wheel arch and paint the tired looking brakes. The arch was steam cleaned and sealed with an underbody silicone protectant. Brakes were cleaned up with wheel acid, scrubbed with wire brushes then sanded to prepare them perfectly for 3 coats of Rosso Corsa Red calliper paint. One fully cured a final coat of CarPro Dlux was applied.

Trims taped up it was time to fully inspect the paint

I treated myself to a GoPro recently and have been playing around with it whilst I work... QUE POLISHING MONTAGE!

http://youtu.be/CdNerVJueLo

With the paint looking fresh and glossy we begun the protection layers. First a base coat of Polish Angel Escalate lotion via DA, then a coat of Polish Angel Master Sealant via DA then another by hand 8 hours later. After 24 hours to cure a final layer of Polish Angel Rapid Waxx is applied.

Paintwork taped off the fabric roof was then re-waterproofed with Gtechniq Smart Fabric

Trims were recoloured, conditioned and protected with CarPro Dlux

Next was to tackle the interior. Soggy dirt ingrained carpets, old dressing dripped down the plastics, old make-up stained plastic and leathers in need of a clean and condition! Steam, brushes, hoover, wet vac and citrus cleaners were used to restore the interior before all plastics were dressed, leathers were conditioned by hand and fabrics were coated with Smart Fabric.

Now the final product :)

Thanks for reading

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Nice one

Cracking effort. Just makes me sad that people let a car get that way in the first place

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Well done Bryce - great work and puts you in the good books with the other half for a few weeks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    Very nice, looks great.

...to Infinity and beyond !!!

watching me, watching you gauldrymini's Avatar
    Car
    TBA
    ...great job

Like the music on the vid. What is it?
    Deposit paid ... something new this way comes!

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Great job and great finish ... Surprised you did the roof after the paintwork though ..
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Looking good
    New sig coming soon

Under Investigation
    Car
    JCW Clubbie :)
    Quote Originally Posted by gauldrymini View Post
    Like the music on the vid. What is it?
    Danny Darko - Butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by MiniiGP View Post
    Surprised you did the roof after the paintwork though ..
    Why did I seal the paint before the roof? because one or the other would need to be sealed off during the protection application. Smart Fabric works through evaporation of the carrying spirit and if I was to wrap it up then this would slow the evaporation.
    Last edited by Bryce; 17th February 2015 at 08:29 PM.

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Gotcha ...
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.