HELP! My MINI's unconscious!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Hi folks, as some of you will know, the Elves have had a few health issues over the past year - Dad in hospital since April '14 and me having a nice wee heart attack in September. Well now G3ELF needs a defibrillator!!!

I haven't had the car out of the garage since last September (for obvious reasons), but after last weekend's excellent Cars & Coffee at Brechin I was determined to get my new NMS stickers on, crank it up and take it out. You'll know what's coming...

Needless to say, lack of use, lack of trickle-charger and the cold weather have put the poor thing into suspended animation - totally dead
    I had it at the back of my mind that this could happen, and a few folks have mentioned it, but other stuff got in the way.

I was going to try to jump-start it from the Skoda, and as far as I'm aware, the battery's in the boot. Anyway, I opened the driver's door 'manually' with the key, but I can't get the boot open as the electrics are flat! Even if the battery was up front, I can't get the car out of the garage...

Anyway, "What to do next" type advice would be most welcome. Do I shove some of my heart pills into the Alta and blow?

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    2018 Cooper S Works 210
    Hi Euan, there's 2 things you could try. Firstly have you looked under your back seats for a release handle? The only other option is to get power under the bonnet some how.

Car
    2018 Cooper S Works 210
    Ignore me, it won't have a boot release and the battery isn't in the boot, I was forgetting it was an R56

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Aye, battery in the engine bay so see if you can get some power to it and see if it lives :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Yip battery in the front left hand side (as you look in) best to get power in battery before you try to start it, last thing you want are any voltage spikes.
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Get one of those battery check battery charger's, let that sit for 24 hours and wait for the diagnostic report, probably looking at a new battery though

Cheers folks, I was getting my battery positions confused! Was my R53's in the boot? Shows how long its been since I was under the bonnet...

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    Cheers folks, I was getting my battery positions confused! Was my R53's in the boot? Shows how long its been since I was under the bonnet...
    Yep, R53 battery in the boot

Quote Originally Posted by Gismo View Post
    Yep, R53 battery in the boot
    To quote a Jethro Tull song, I'm obviously "Living in the Past" Will go out tomorrow and have a look at the right end of the car
    I have a battery charger - is removing the battery straightforward, or is it a pain in the ? If it's OK to remove for charging, will it cause problems with any of the electrics etc to disconnect it? I know I'm being a bit dim, but don't want to 'charge' in and muck stuff up...

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    If it's an intelligent charger you can leave battery in place (waits for comments )
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland