Noisy scraping brakes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by Angib View Post
    Just to show that fate can step in, I got to the end of my street this morning and found I had almost no brakes at all, after the car not being used over the weekend (plus pretty much immersed in salt last week). Sure enough, a few firm brakes later everything was fine, except the state of my underwear.
    This time of year is just a pain ,always try to take the cars out every couple of days to keep the discs cleanish
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Banned
    Car
    F56 Cooper S
    I don't know if I've managed to clean mine.....sheet ice all the way to work and back again...don't think I saw above 15mph and barely touched the brakes!!

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    mini countryman jcw
    I thought it was just me, the brakes on my R60 JCW where that bad I put it into the garage but they found nothing. Only done 500 miles and it was there plus the rusty look is not the best. Is there any way to stop the rusty look?

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    You can paint the outer edge of the brake disc .. That adds some protection to the outer edge of the disc and also stops the rusty water dripping down onto your wheels ..
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    mini countryman jcw
    Had to take mine back to Mini the grinding noise was getting worse, the have stripped and cleaned the brakes hopefully that will have sorted it

Banned
    Car
    F56 Cooper S
    I had my discs and pads replaced under warranty by the dealer a couple of weeks ago.

watching me, watching you gauldrymini's Avatar
    Car
    TBA
    ...the hubs on our F55 looking a bit rusty...

I blame the council and their damn salt & grit combo ... oh and MINI
    Deposit paid ... something new this way comes!

Banned
    Car
    F56 Cooper S
    Rusting already!?? Blimey, your F55 can't be very old? I was blaming salt/sand initially too since they started scraping late-October. But mine are looking lovely and shiny again.

watching me, watching you gauldrymini's Avatar
    Car
    TBA
    ...its like there is an imprint of numbers / letters on the hub and that's where the rust is, if I took the wheels off and wire brushed them then painted them job would be done but I don't have the necessary equipment...will mention it when it goes in for its routine service.

- - - Updated - - -

...rusting wheel hubs on relatively new cars seems to be a common complaint on a few BMW forums, most dealers claiming it is not a warranty issue and charge to paint the hubs, some blame the owners for using acidic wheel cleaners...
    Deposit paid ... something new this way comes!

If you want rusty discs, check out this one replaced from the rear of my Roadster after 30,000 miles and 3 winters:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	disc1s.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	5662

It had no discernible effect on braking, except at very low speed just after the car was started from cold - I had a couple of moments of not being able to stop at the end of my street until I mashed the brake pedal. Which convinced me that it is the rear brakes that do the cold braking and the front ones work once heated up.