Noisy scraping brakes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Car
    F56 Cooper S
    Over the last month or so my brakes have got quite noisy, especially when your doing soft braking (in queues) etc. So today, since the roads were actually DRY I took the opportunity to give them a right good blast with the powerwasher and took it along the road for a few high speed emergency stops. They seem to be performing as usual and don't pull/vibrate, so I'm hoping its just been a build up of salt and grit as the car's only done 5000miles.

Do you reckon this is sufficient to clean them up or should I get myself some brake cleaner stuff? I could do them properly once I take the winter wheels back off but it'll be a couple of months before I do it. Has anyone used it? What brand can you recommend?

In my experience, Mini discs are very prone to rusting when not used - that's a fair exchange, as discs that don't rust tend not to brake so well. But this does give you the noisy scraping sound when you then use them.

There's no need to use the powerwasher on them, just give them some good hard use. Anyone who doesn't have nearby access to fast roads may find that a problem, becasue it's difficult to get any serious braking done at 30mph - it really takes one or more good stops from high speed to get the brakes perfectly clean.

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    ^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    As above
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Like the others have said Donna all you need to do is make sure they get the occasional good firm braking done just to keep the discs clean and squeak free. Shouldn't really need to or spray anything on them.
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Car
    2018 Cooper S Works 210
    Mine are a nightmare but I'm guessing the JCW brakes are worse for this than the S, also my commute wouldn't be doing them any favours. An NMS run is a great way of getting them as good as new

Car
    r53s jcw
    Mine can look rusty overnight.

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    The M-Tecs on 1499 look proper rusty within 10 minutes of me washing it.

...to Infinity and beyond !!!

Banned
    Car
    F56 Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie_JCW View Post
    Mine are a nightmare but I'm guessing the JCW brakes are worse for this than the S, also my commute wouldn't be doing them any favours. An NMS run is a great way of getting them as good as new

Roll on Brechin then!
    Daily commute doesn't really do the brakes much favours I must admit. She needs to be driven like she's been stolen more often. Will see if they're a bit quieter tomorrow otherwise I might get the OH to take her out.....

Just to show that fate can step in, I got to the end of my street this morning and found I had almost no brakes at all, after the car not being used over the weekend (plus pretty much immersed in salt last week). Sure enough, a few firm brakes later everything was fine, except the state of my underwear.