Piper BP300 on an R50

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mini Mad
    Car
    Mini Cooper
    Just a little update on ol'Gez! The cars going in for an upgraded camshaft and tune next week and I just wanted to share its progress. I managed to get a great deal from the guys at MiniSpeed on the camshaft and some other bits and bobs that are going to be changed at the same time (Timing chain tensioner and some gaskets).
    Im really looking forward to the results. I chose the piper cam over the kent/shrick/catcams namely because of its powerband being mid range. Ive read that the engine in the R50 doesnt really like high end power so ive chosen a mid range cam. This will all be complimented by a custom tune by P-Torque.
    It'll be interesting to see how the MINI performs with such an agressive cam and whether it offers the pull that Im looking for (P.S I dont want an S).

Ive been told by the few that actually have tuned up an r50 that it should produce around the same power as an early r53.

Next Plans are to get the head that I have lying around port matched and gas flowed.

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Keep us up to date Jamie
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Your probably right about the power difference .. What shys you away from an S over the R50 ?
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    He's a young buck and insurance will be expensive Davy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a look at nickbmw's build on MT - he's probably at the front when it comes to getting power out of the N/A engine. Not sure what bhp he's at now.

Just be warned though - it's not cheap getting power from an N/A engine (ITBs etc) and the R53 engine has a lot of upgrades over the R50 to cope with the power - forged internals, oil squirters, plus the stronger gearbox etc.

I admire you for going down this route, just maybe not the most cost effective way to 160ish bhp

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Mini Mad
    Car
    Mini Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniiGP View Post
    Your probably right about the power difference .. What shys you away from an S over the R50 ?
    I wanted a challenge. Ive nearly bought an S both R53 and 56 on occasions but ive really struggled to get rid of my r50...i like it too much.

Mini Mad
    Car
    Mini Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    Have a look at nickbmw's build on MT - he's probably at the front when it comes to getting power out of the N/A engine. Not sure what bhp he's at now.

Just be warned though - it's not cheap getting power from an N/A engine (ITBs etc) and the R53 engine has a lot of upgrades over the R50 to cope with the power - forged internals, oil squirters, plus the stronger gearbox etc.

I admire you for going down this route, just maybe not the most cost effective way to 160ish bhp
    Ive spoke to Nick on a number of occasions. The only thing hes done over mines, is a fidanza flywheel and upgraded injectors. The fidanza might be in the pipeline when i change my clutch.

Mini Mad
    Car
    Mini Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post

Seperate reply Woops! Funnily enough I spoke to Minispeed about ITBs as they did them back in the day. But it looks far too expensive and if I was going that crazy with money a 1320 turbo conversion would be on the cards.

What sort of power are you aiming for? Getting hold of an R53 bottom end might be a good idea

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Mini Mad
    Car
    Mini Cooper
    Id be happy at around the 160 mark really. Should be running around 150 with the current mods. Never thought of that, might look a bit more into it.