How long on average will the brake pads last?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tahra
    Hi,
    the second ( or was it third time ) I took the car in because of the noise I was told it was just corrosion on the brakes and I really cant remember if he said pads or discs. However when my husband took it in to get it fixed ( the noise is now constant ) he was told it was the discs. The front ones are a bit scored and worn and show corrosion the back ones are not bad but of course he was recommended to change all four ! The MINI is never garaged but generally it doesnt get much chance to sit around either. Its hopefully going to see my Father in law this afternoon for an independent mechanic's opinion !

As for the greenstuff pads, we thought as the brake pads aren't covered by the warranty (or TLC) it shouldnt make much difference and from the stories we were getting from the dealer doesnt look like the discs are really covered either

lightbody
    18,000 miles on the original pads, unless they changed them at some point without telling me!

Tahra
    Finally managed to get the MINI and the Father in law together for an unbiased opinion.......Imagine our suprise theres nothing wrong with the discs, no major wearing, scoring or corrosion and about 10,000 miles left on the pads !!! So after lots of driving round slowly recreating the noise and a bit of ruling out everything else the culprit was found - tyre noise ! Now I know we've both got to hold our hands up to obviously not checking our tyre pressure, I generally do a visual check when I get to the car and Ive never had run flats before so I didnt know that they dont "look " soft. However the car has been serviced twice (different dealers) in the time we've had it; and when it first went to Eastern to investigate the noise ( I left it with them for three days, so they had plenty of time )I said it was noise coming from the front wheels not specifically the brakes, I thought it might even be the wheel bearing. The point being John and his Dad had to use pliers to get the caps off-they got the impression that the wheels were still factory sealed, so we're not the only ones who don't check tyre pressures............

I feel a stroppy letter to BMW coming on. Please tell me that someone can recommend Morrisons in Kirkcaldy ???!

Tahra
    P.S We're still going to change to Green Stuff pads anyway, been hearing only good things about them and a friend's had them on his MR2 fior a while and really recommends them. Hopefully they might keep the alloys a bit cleaner too.......

3GGG
    quote:Originally posted by Tahra
    The point being John and his Dad had to use pliers to get the caps off-they got the impression that the wheels were still factory sealed, so we're not the only ones who don't check tyre pressures............

I feel a stroppy letter to BMW coming on. Please tell me that someone can recommend Morrisons in Kirkcaldy ???!
    Hi Tahra
    When I got my cooper the ride was really harsh, turned out the tyre pressures were quite high, I lowered them to about 31 PSI (16" runflats) and much better. Have kept an eye on the pressures and they haven't needed much top up at all. What pressure were yours down to?

Morrisons have been fine so far with any small things that I've had done.

David

Tahra
    I think they've been set to about 30 at the mo, they were actually down to 16 !!!! Saying that it didn't feel soggy in any way, its just suddenly much better again ! John was suspicious that some of our rattles are back with the harder ride. They wouldnt use a easy way to get rid of some noises would they ??? Too X-file like.
    Will definately be trying Morrison's next time for warranty/TLC stuff. We went off Dunedin when the sprayed the whole interior of the car with WD40 whilst attempting to lubricate the sunroof ! And I do mean cover, luckily we've got the leather interior so it was just very sweet smelling for a while !

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Hi Tahra
    I had the green EBC pads on my old XR2 for years and the extra 'feel' I got from my brakes was treeeeeemendous. It was like I had fitted a new system and the reduction in brake dust was considerable. I now have them fitted to my Mondeo with the same results. I also fitted their grooved/dimpled discs as well. Very good kit. Highly recomended. They also make a grooooovy swirly swooshy sound when you brake (if you have the window down) Am I sad or what !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

3GGG
    quote:Originally posted by Tahra

Will definately be trying Morrison's next time for warranty/TLC stuff. We went off Dunedin when the sprayed the whole interior of the car with WD40 whilst attempting to lubricate the sunroof ! And I do mean cover, luckily we've got the leather interior so it was just very sweet smelling for a while !
    I hate that when it happens

Seriously I had a similar thing with a non MINI car at a dealer who sprayed about a whole can of WD40 on the door hinges, making a terrible mess and stink and charged me for the whole can. Told him where he could put the empty can

WD40 is not a good long term lubricant, it is a mositure repellant and freeing agent and should not be used for jobs that need permanent lubrication, there is proper stuff like grease for that...

Tahra
    "They also make a grooooovy swirly swooshy sound when you brake (if you have the window down"

Sounds much more preferable to grinding, gratey noises anyway ! We've got the pads ordered so we should have them fitted at the weekend, as the discs are fine at the mo we're just leaving them. J really fancied ones with the red bits ( can't remember the technical name - are they the calipers ?? ) but as that upgrading the whole wheels, I dont think we'll be bothering !

PS How do you do quotes properly on NMS, I managed it fine on the MINI2 site - not used to all this forum stuff yet..... Duh just saw the thing at the top finally......

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    Yes they are calipers but you don't have to replace the wheels - just paint the calipers red !!!
    That's what I'm going to do. Mmmmmm a chilli red Mini with red calipers behind 17" 'S'wheels Mmmmmmmmm donuts :) :) :)
    Yeh I'm a forum virgin too !!
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'