How long on average will the brake pads last?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wul
    Another one from me!

Does anyone know roughly what sort of mileage you can expect to get from a set of front brake pads before they might be getting close to replacement? Based on average driving ie mixture of urban/rural driving.

Cheers

Resident old yin.
    Not sure about the MINI but on my last car the fronts lasted 36000 miles. I wouldn't expect the ones on the MINI to last quite as long - maybe about 25K.

The rear ones should last longer as the fronts take most of the strain I'd expect.

Should be easy to see how much is left on the pad by looking through the alloy. Anyone know the recommended minimum before they're changed?

Wul
    My fronts look to have about 8-9mm left on them at present after 12,500 miles.

duncan
    Just be glad you dont have a Ford Focus RS.
    The OEM pads for them are over £300!

Wul
    Ouch! - i'll be putting EBC Green Stuff on when mine are done - £49.95 on Moss Mini (unless John can do them cheaper?) but not sure if that's in total for the two pair or just one pair!

Resident old yin.
    They normally come in boxes of 4 so hopefully that'll be for 4. Pretty expensive if it's only for 2.

Tahra
    On a brake theme - we've been told by Eastern that the suspicious noise coming from the front of the car, is not grit in the wheels or something being out of alignment but our brake discs are needing replacing ( at 17,000 miles ) but our pads are fine !!!! Been looking around and we were thinking of getting greenstuff pads but not sure about uprating the discs. Been speaking to the nice bloke at Play Mini.

Not sure if we'll be going back to Eastern either.....run out of dealers in Edinburgh, we'll be trying the Fife ones next.

Woz
    Something is well wrong if the disks are fooked on that mileage. Kick up a stink, you might be able to get free replacements.

Banned
    Car
    GP 0878
    I replaced the pads on my last Cooper at 9,000 miles:I

I replaced them with genuine MINI pads for the simple reason that if ever the discs gave any problem then the warranty would be valid.:)

I think the warranty on the discs with Green Stuff would be a problem.

And anyway the standard pads are very good.

I have now done 12,000 miles in this Cooper and the pads are lasting well:) (I must be getting older and wiser)

Don't even think of saying anything about my young age

3GGG
    Tahra, did they say why the discs needed replaced? Was it because they had worn thin, or was it because they had become scored? - Sometimes discs do get ridged as a result of rust building up in areas on the disc from salt on the roads in the winter especially if the car is left for a while in the garage after a run in the wet. I guess the rear discs on the MINI will be more likely to suffer from this because they get less hard braking to remove the rust. Could get them skimmed, but probably just as well to replace them. On non performance cars with scored discs I have just replaced the pads and bedded them in quickly by driving hard while pressing the brake ! - I wouldn't recommend this on the MINI! Better safe than sorry.