Hiya! Test drive booked ....... and some questions

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Scottch
    Lo guys!

After years of being a wannabe, we've made up our mind that the lure of the mini is too strong.

48 hour test drive should happen early this week, and providing we can live with it, we'll be ordering a new MCS after that.

Square me up though guys, my dad had an early MC that was so troublesome BMW bought it back. Rather than learn from that disappointment, he followed on with a MCS that was gorgeous but was also poorly built and forever in the dealer - he didn't keep it long.

So, are they still a bit "iffy" in the build quality dept.?

And, we have a couple of young (8 & 5 yo) kids, can the mini cope with rear passengers?
    (yep, I know there are more practical cars out there - but I'd be more excited buying a new fridge than another eurobox )

Anyone have any experinces with IceLink?

There's probably loads more question I have for you all, but right now I have that vacant look on me napper again!

Cheers!

Scott

Are My Nuts Tight
    Car
    Dougall the Red
    Cant say too much about the build quality other than I am more than happy with mine though it has only 4,300 on the clock yet so plenty of time for things to go wrong. As far as passengers are concerned my youngest (6) has loads of space in the back. If Nik (15) has to sit in the back he finds it comfortable enough as long as the front passenger isn't too greedy about leg room. Nik's about 5'3". he has said he wouldn't want to go very long distance in the back because the seats are quite hard compared to those in our family car (Primera).
    Hope this helps. I think the kids find it so cool for mum and dad to have an mc that any mild discomfort is ignored.

Dear Lord, If you wont make me skinny, please make my friends fat-very Fat.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Welcome to the site, can't really comment on the build quality of the latest models, but, from what i hear and read they seem to be much better

Sponsor
    Welcome!

My Coop is almost 2 years old. a few niggly wee problems, but nothing major. On the whole the dealer has repaired or replaced everything required.

No worries about getting another MINI (in fact that's the plan for next year) but I will more than likely be changing dealers. More gripes with them than the car!

The Dogfather
    More than happy with my Coop, in fact the only reason I didn't order another (a diesel) was because the waiting list was so long.

As for practicality, we don't have kids but the dog loves the back seat (fitted with special MINI seat cover) he seems to enjoy staring out of the back window whilst being chauffered around from beach to park etc.

Car
    Mini Cooper
    I'm approaching 30,000 miles with my March 03 Cooper and have had no serious problems, just some minor stereo niggles and rear pads needing replaced at 25K. I've found Morrisons in Kirkcaldy fine as a dealer.
    I have no problems carrying 3 adults in my Mini but cannot fit a passenger behind me due to my driving position (I keep as spare wheel there anyway :clown:)
    If comfort is an issue for you, then consider trying a Cooper with 15" wheels as the Cooper S suspension and runflat tyres gives a hard ride. I drive through Kennoway on the way to work each day and know how poor the roads are around there.
    Go on get a mini - It's the most fun you can have on 4 wheels (or occasionally 3 wheels )

Wul
    First MINI was a 02 coop and had a lot of problems with it - traded it back in for an 04 MCS and touch wood the quality is much better as i've had no problems so far.

Scottch
    Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated!

What about Icelink? Has anyone got experience of that here?

And now the toughy, what about colour / stripe combo's?

Cheers!

Scott

Steve74
    quote:Originally posted by Scottch

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated!

What about Icelink? Has anyone got experience of that here?

And now the toughy, what about colour / stripe combo's?

Cheers!

Scott
    Got the Icelink and it's pretty good. Only thing is it's tricky to mount. If I had to choose again I'd go for the new BMW one which integrates with the Steering wheel and sits in the glovebox.

Scottch
    Steve,

As far as I know, the BMW Ipod interface is not available in the UK - I've already tried to have it installed in my other motor only to be told it was a BMW North America product that, if installed, could have warranty implications - therefore, BMW UK would not be able to supply it.

However, if anyone knows better then please let me know - I hate all the cables that hang all over the place in my beemer (never knew about icelink until I found this site!)

Cheers!

Scott