Exhaust smell in cabin - R56 Cooper D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi guys!

When my wife's Cooper D is idling there is a strong exhaust smell in the cabin. Not noticeable when driving. The smell can be reduced by using the recirculating air button.

The more I smell it I'm thinking it maybe hot oil which isn't good.

I had a quick look under the bonnet tonight in the rain when my wife got home. I noticed what I think is oil sitting next to number 3 injector. If it is it could possibly explain the smell.

Has anyone heard/experienced this before?

Car
    2018 Cooper S Works 210
    That's a BMW Diesel thing I'm sure, my 3 done that if you idled for a while but I reckon it's normal and I didn't worry about it but I don't think it was oil, was more of a hot diesel smell

I had read that before about them but this is really unpleasant and hasn't done it before.

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Like Eddie says BMWs are very bad for the exhaust smell .. Could be that the DPF on the car requires changed .. How old / many miles is on the car ?
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    never had any smells in our Cooper D's,and would not think that's normal.as said what year and what mileage
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

The car is on a 57 plate and has done around 70000 miles.

Would there be a dash light notifying me of the DPF needing replaced?

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    I would have thought that any faults/maintainence would have brought up a warning light
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Sometimes the DPF won't bring on a warning light .. Does the car just do short runs sometimes putting a cleaner through it and taking it for a thrash can clear it ...
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Ah, cool. I always thought any dpf fault would show a light.

I will put a cleaner through it and go from there. Any suggestions on what cleaner to use on these engines.

Yeah, mostly short journeys to and from work.

Car
    2018 Cooper S Works 210
    Quote Originally Posted by Roj135 View Post
    Ah, cool. I always thought any dpf fault would show a light.

I will put a cleaner through it and go from there. Any suggestions on what cleaner to use on these engines.

Yeah, mostly short journeys to and from work.
    Halfrauds sell Wynns DPF cleaner I haven't tried it but it's worth a go. Maybe give it a good run too, my diesel was a lot worse on short journeys around town and it only started to smell if it was idling for more than 10 minutes I'm sure, but I know it wasn't instant which I'm sure would rule out any exhaust leak. Is it smoky on a cold start?