Front wheel bearing renewal

Threaded View

My drivers side wheel bearing started to howl the other day so I knew that it was time to renew it. Rather than just replace one bearing I did the pair as no doubt if one has gone then the other will quickly follow. I thought that I would make a step by step guide just in case anyone else is thinking about doing this job themselves. The job itself can easily be done within an hour per side.

* Tools required
    13,16,17,32mm sockets, socket extensions, punch, heavy hammer, 7mm Alan key/ socket, T30 Torx socket. WD40 Torque wrench, Axle stands

1- Prior to jacking your car up, remove the centre cap from the wheel. Using a punch or suitable screwdriver knock the locking tab back in to shape so that the hub nut can be undone. Using a 32mm socket crack off the hub nut.

2- Jack the front of the car up and support it on axel stands and remove the wheel
    3- Remove the torx collar screw from the brake disk.
    4- Undo the 2 calliper carrier bolts (16mm), remove the calliper and hook it up on the coil spring with a bungee cord or tie it up with string so that your working area is clear.

5- Spray the end of the hub bolts with WD40 where they stick out of the hub and let them soak for a few minutes if you wish

6- Remove the wheel sensor. * If it’s stuck then you can leave it in but you’ll need to be careful when freeing the wheel bearing assembly from the hub!

7- Working from the back of the hub, undo the 4 bolts that hold on the wheel bearing assembly (13mm)

8- Remove the hub nut on the end of the driveshaft (32mm)
    9- The wheel bearing assembly will probably be rusted to the hub so carefully shock the wheel bearing assembly with a heavy hammer until it breaks free
    10- Remove the wheel bearing assembly and then give the hole a clean up with course sand paper or a wire brush as this will aid reassembly of the new wheel bearing.

11- Refit the new wheel bearing assembly. The holes to retain it are off set so it can only be bolted on one way! Fit new hub nut

12- Refit wheel speed sensor if removed
    13- Refit brake disk and calliper. Torque calliper bolts to required torque (110nm)

14- Torque hub nut up then using a punch or suitable drift knock the collar of the hub nut into its locking slot. *You may need an assistant to stand on the brake pedal when doing the hub nut up.

I also took this opportunity to renew my calliper carrier bolts and brake disk collar screws as mine were looking a tad naff.
    Last edited by SeanC; 23rd February 2015 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Photo links broken