Front wheel bearing renewal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My drivers side wheel bearing started to howl the other day so I knew that it was time to renew it. Rather than just replace one bearing I did the pair as no doubt if one has gone then the other will quickly follow. I thought that I would make a step by step guide just in case anyone else is thinking about doing this job themselves. The job itself can easily be done within an hour per side.

* Tools required
    13,16,17,32mm sockets, socket extensions, punch, heavy hammer, 7mm Alan key/ socket, T30 Torx socket. WD40 Torque wrench, Axle stands

1- Prior to jacking your car up, remove the centre cap from the wheel. Using a punch or suitable screwdriver knock the locking tab back in to shape so that the hub nut can be undone. Using a 32mm socket crack off the hub nut.

2- Jack the front of the car up and support it on axel stands and remove the wheel
    3- Remove the torx collar screw from the brake disk.
    4- Undo the 2 calliper carrier bolts (16mm), remove the calliper and hook it up on the coil spring with a bungee cord or tie it up with string so that your working area is clear.

5- Spray the end of the hub bolts with WD40 where they stick out of the hub and let them soak for a few minutes if you wish

6- Remove the wheel sensor. * If it’s stuck then you can leave it in but you’ll need to be careful when freeing the wheel bearing assembly from the hub!

7- Working from the back of the hub, undo the 4 bolts that hold on the wheel bearing assembly (13mm)

8- Remove the hub nut on the end of the driveshaft (32mm)
    9- The wheel bearing assembly will probably be rusted to the hub so carefully shock the wheel bearing assembly with a heavy hammer until it breaks free
    10- Remove the wheel bearing assembly and then give the hole a clean up with course sand paper or a wire brush as this will aid reassembly of the new wheel bearing.

11- Refit the new wheel bearing assembly. The holes to retain it are off set so it can only be bolted on one way! Fit new hub nut

12- Refit wheel speed sensor if removed
    13- Refit brake disk and calliper. Torque calliper bolts to required torque (110nm)

14- Torque hub nut up then using a punch or suitable drift knock the collar of the hub nut into its locking slot. *You may need an assistant to stand on the brake pedal when doing the hub nut up.

I also took this opportunity to renew my calliper carrier bolts and brake disk collar screws as mine were looking a tad naff.
    Last edited by SeanC; 23rd February 2015 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Photo links broken

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Great write up for those that fancy trying it themselves :)
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Mini Mad
    Car
    Mini Cooper
    Brilliant write up. Was gonna change mines soon aswell! Cheers :)

Cheers guys. Apparently this job will cost in excess of £600 at MINI!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Mini Mad
    Car
    cooper D & cooper S
    Perfect timing as mine will hopefully be getting done this weekend.
    Great write up

Sorry for the broken links with the photos for a while. I tidied up my photo bucket and didnt realise the links had gone. All fixed now

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Car
    JCW S GP1499 & R59 JCW
    That is a cracking "how to" guide, thanks for taking the time to post it up.

...to Infinity and beyond !!!

Traffic Light Racer John Martin's Avatar
    Car
    GP1223 & R53 S
    Great work, where did you buy your wheel bearings?
    Living the dream.

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    Mini Cooper 2005
    Great How To... Many thanks, Need to do mine also rear ones are going, is there a how to on the rear bearings? also for interest where abouts did you buy your bearings from.
    Thanks again,

R
    Tim,

Banned
    Car
    GP 0878
    Quote Originally Posted by Trich1966 View Post
    Great How To... Many thanks, Need to do mine also rear ones are going, is there a how to on the rear bearings? also for interest where abouts did you buy your bearings from.
    Thanks again,

R
    Tim,
    the rears are virtually the same.