Aftermarket drls/fogs

Car
    R53 Mini Cooper S
    Any recommendations for aftermarket units?

Saw these and I'm interested as I can change then to H.I.D later on, anyone got these or can offer any advice?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Stytle...item3f281132bf

just don't like the 'made in taiwan'

thanks

Those are just fog lights, aren't they, not DRLs as well?

Car
    Mini Countryman
    As Angib says these are not DRL's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Think this has been picked up already, these are only LED fog lights I'm afraid.

You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

On closer inspection, these do appear to have a LED ring to act as a DRL - though whether it is powerful enough to be effective is another question. The "Use H11 bulb" in the text says to me that they are conventional foglights inside the LED ring.

But the critical bit is that they don't claim to have a sidelight function. Presumably CraigR56 you have a R56 in which case you need sidelights somewhere in that unit. Maybe the LED ring is low enough power to work as a sidelight for parking without flattening the battery (if so, it's not much good as a DRL).

One reason the Mini LED DRLs are so expensive is that they come with a control unit that determines when the DRLs are fully switched on (as DRLs) or only partially (as a side light). With these eBay unit, you would have to add wiring and switchery to do that yourself.

Car
    R53 Mini Cooper S
    Perhaps my use of DRL wasn't great, I realise they aren't DRLs.

Im interested in having the angle eye as the side light and obviously the projector as the fog with an HID kit at some point.

What is your feeling on this unit for those functions? Always nice to have a second opinion on these things.

- - - Updated - - -

Also if anyone could recommend units?

Im not particularly wanting to set up a mortgage for the Mini DRLs as nice as they are!
    however I do want something of quality and style for my car

Thanks for he help everyone!

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Does that kit not have LED DRL's in the outside circular section? Certainly, they look like the LED DRL's on our MINI's. As well as the fogs in the middle.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

Car
    Mini Countryman
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyP & Lenore View Post
    Does that kit not have LED DRL's in the outside circular section? Certainly, they look like the LED DRL's on our MINI's. As well as the fogs in the middle.
    If they were DRL's they would need a control unit. You can't just wire them up to the side lights as when it's dark and the headlights are on DRL's have to either switch off or dim. So you have to wonder if it would be legal to use these LED lights if they do not switch off when the lights come on.

Might be worth checking if the side lights switch off when the headlights are switched on, if they do problem solved.

Last edited by mini mad andy; 20th August 2014 at 06:22 PM.