New Car - Breaking In Engine Advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Theory Test Pass
    Car
    Looking at 2014 Mini Cooper
    Hi Guys,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum, did a quick search but possibly not using the correct term. I am due to take delivery of my new Mini Cooper in September (maybe a bit ahead of myself here), and really looking for advice on how the car should be driven to correctly break the engine in. It's the first time I have owned a car from new and want the engine to be as flexible and run as well as it can. I have read loads of different tips and techniques online, some which seem to be opposite to others, and yet some that say modern cars don't require any break in/wear in type driving and can be driven as normal from new.

Keen to hear what you guys think? Is a 3 pot likely to need a different procedure to other engines?

New to the forum, so if I have missed a section somewhere someone please point it out - did try a search up the top but to no avail.

Cheers

It'll be no different to other engines. Various revs, don't redline it etc. See what the handbook says

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    Don't labour the engine, no full throttle, use various revs without having the engine screaming all the way to the redline etc you get the jist. Others will say drive it like you stole it, I was brought up to always run a car in and I always have and I fell that my cars have been all the better for it.
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Car
    R56 S in Dark Silver. Oh Yeah.
    Now I was told off an engine developer to thrash them to expose any weaknesses quickly and beds in the valve seats better

Just goes to show it's one of those things which no one really knows. Do what feels right to you

Traffic Light Racer tangledfeet's Avatar
    Car
    Mini Cooper
    One thing that the manual for the new F56 Cooper doesn't seem to mention is turbo cool down period... I know my wife's car (Kia Sorento 4x4 with big turbo-diesel) states that you should let the engine run for a moment or two.

But then with the auto-stop/start at traffic lights on the new Mini I suppose they must have thought of this...

Turbo cool-down only really matters if you've been ragging it

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Reading the posts it's covered by William and Mon no more needs said
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Banned
    Car
    F56 Cooper S
    My manual for the F56 MCS says to stick to under 4500rpm and sub-100mph for the first 1200 miles. Hope that helps?

Theory Test Pass
    Car
    Looking at 2014 Mini Cooper
    Hi Everyone, thanks for all the replies - this is why I love forums :) Yeah everything above has been what I have read, a couple of folk have now said seperatly that the car should be driven hard to expose weakness, however my gut says to go with the approach Mon the fish and MINI William mention, various revs but don't redline the car, it makes more sense to me that this would be sensible.

donnaj1dlh Perfect thanks, that answers my next question...how long should the run in period be :)

Thanks everyone, now the hard part...waiting for the car to arrive Keep seeing more and more on the road which is only making it worse

Cheers

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Every mechanic I've spoken with has always said the same. Drive it like you stole it. I'm not suggesting you should do that, I'm just saying of those I've spoken with who actually work on the engines, have all pretty well discounted what is in most vehicle handbooks which is to keep below 4,500rpm, not to redline and keep the speed under 100 - as others have said.

I tend to sit between a stolen drive and a sensible drive - which may even be the worst thing to do.

But regardless of how you decide to "run in" your engine, bear in mind there's more to the car than the engine; brakes, suspension, gearbox, etc, etc will all require a bit more care and consideration than driving it like it's been stolen. Brakes especially.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto