TPMS and aftermarket wheels

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    ^^ You could but I'd imagine you'd be paying to take tyres off wheels, and back on, twice a year. If you were to do that, you'd be as well just having a set of winter tyres, and using the one set of rims all year round

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Banned
    Car
    F56 Cooper S
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    ^^ You could but I'd imagine you'd be paying to take tyres off wheels, and back on, twice a year. If you were to do that, you'd be as well just having a set of winter tyres, and using the one set of rims all year round
    Exactly right :(

Traffic Light Racer tangledfeet's Avatar
    Car
    Mini Cooper
    Right... tyres arrived the other week and picked up the rims on Monday after work. Was happy to find that the steel rims are actually black rather than silver; I had actually considered getting them powder coated but that would've been as much as the rims themselves and as these are winter tyres and rims I'm not too bothered.

When I collected the rims I was told that the car will offer an audible alarm when started and then a warning light; HF Kircaldy have experienced this very phenomena recently with a similar scenario - will confirm in a month or two!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rims and tyres.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	5353

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    LOVE Nokian Winter Tyres . They are the best winter tyres I've ever had :)

Car
    Mini Countryman
    Another solution would be to switch off the TPMS during the winter via the ODB connector.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Car
    Mini Cooper
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nokian.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	5452

The answer to the million dollar (well, a couple of hundred quid anyway) question...

Steel rims with Nokain WR D3's fitted last night - had no idea just how much easier this would be having invested £30 in a trolley jack! Took it out for a short drive last night and nothing happened so I did wonder whether the TPMS was actually working properly! However, on the way in to work this morning the car 'bonged' once after a few miles and then alerted me that the TPMS was not working. Amber warning light flashed for a moment or two then stay lit.

I can live with that over winter! Noticed the difference immediately on the damp, muddy rural roads in Fife at 5deg.C this morning.

Want More BHP!
    Car
    R55 Clubman JCW
    I fitted my steelies last weekend, the package complete with tpms on pirelli snowcontrols from mini.

As well as a discount, they very generously gave me about 40% more air in the tyres than I needed. Having verified the reading in the car using 2 separate handheld guages, and the airline at the garage I deflated them to 32, but forgot to reset the tmps again, which then shat itself a couple of miles down the road - DOH!

tangledfeet, does the car bong every time it's being driven?

Car
    Mini Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeswagon View Post
    I fitted my steelies last weekend, the package complete with tpms on pirelli snowcontrols from mini.

As well as a discount, they very generously gave me about 40% more air in the tyres than I needed. Having verified the reading in the car using 2 separate handheld guages, and the airline at the garage I deflated them to 32, but forgot to reset the tmps again, which then shat itself a couple of miles down the road - DOH!

tangledfeet, does the car bong every time it's being driven?
    How much did you pay for the Mini winter tyre and steel rim package..?

Car does remind me each time I start it; bongs once, states the TPMS 'error' and the amber light - I can live with that.

I commented to a colleague just yesterday that the tyre pressure on the Mini is much higher than in previous cars!
    Last edited by tangledfeet; 12th November 2014 at 05:53 PM.

Want More BHP!
    Car
    R55 Clubman JCW
    Quote Originally Posted by tangledfeet View Post
    How much did you pay for the Mini winter tyre and steel rim package..?

Car does remind me each time I start it; bongs once, states the TPMS 'error' and the amber light - I can live with that.

I commented to a colleague just yesterday that the tyre pressure on the Mini is much higher than in previous cars!
    The package was £524 before discount, which suited me fine. I asked about just the wheels and tpms, as I fancied nokians, IIRC it was going to be around £424, so it made sense to get the package just now, and if I don't like the tyres they can be swapped next year.

Now that you're running like this, I imagine a lot more will do the same, doesn't sound too bad to live with, I was expecting a more frequent beeping as you drive.

Banned
    Car
    F56 Cooper S
    How come you got the so cheap Mike!!?? Did you go for 15" steelers? I was quoted £1400 for 16"! My winter shoes are at the garage getting assembled today, hopefully him indoors will put them on the MINI this week.