TPMS and aftermarket wheels

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Car
    F56 Cooper S
    Thanks for that Eddie, looks like it would be a case of buying the wheels and sensors to fit into them! Still might work out cheaper than OEM set price though.

I wonder if I bought the 'set' from mytyres they might be able to deliver them as rims and wheels so I can affix the sensors?

Or maybe I should just stay at home when it snows........

Banned
    Car
    F56 Cooper S
    A recent PM convo with Tangledfeet has reminded me to get this wheels issue sorted out.

I've been in touch with MINI and the TPS cannot be disabled. My local 'parts guy' I spoke to on the phone was really helpful last night and we discussed the options I had open to me .... although he freely admitted I was the first local to be showing an interest in F56 winter wheels/alloys, so it was a bit of a minefield for him.

MINI can supply wheels/tyres for approx. £1400 (this obviously includes valves). These are for 16" alloys .... there is no option of 16" steels for the MCS as they won't fit over the brakes. Bare with me, I don't have the tyre size at hand (scribbled on a bit of paper at home) but he did say there was a narrower tyre option available at £1200 for the set. Ovbiously narrower tyres will be slightly better in actual snow. He's offered a 5% discount.

He also let me know that the TPS valves themselves are £65 inc vat, so £260 for the set (eeeek!)

However, I was in touch with a guy from Wheelbasealloys (not sure if any of you guys have dealt with them) but they offer MINI fitment alloys/winters at £600-£1000 per set depending on tyre/wheel choice. I saw a nice enough set for ~£800 and was told I was welcome to buy valves, send them to wheelbasealloys and have them fitted to the wheels/tyres. So this would still come in less that MINI originals, by £200-£400.

My question is this .... do I spend more on genuine MINI wheels or buy the others. Which ones would sell on better second hand?

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Personally I'd buy whichever ones you preferred the look of. I wouldn't worry about the second hand market at all. If it was me I wouldn't be bothered about buying genuine MINI wheels that's for sure especially if they're only for winter use (why wreck an expensive set of wheels) ..
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Banned
    Car
    F56 Cooper S
    That's what I reckoned. On wheelbasealloys their cheapest 16" MINI compatible alloy were these:

http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy.../h-max-130-mph

or 17"s were these.....

http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy.../v-max-149-mph

(then remember to add on £250 for sensors)
    The bonus of the 17"s of course, is knowing (should I need it) there are replacement wheels in the shed should I kerb one/puncture (do fine for an emergency!)

Traffic Light Racer tangledfeet's Avatar
    Car
    Mini Cooper
    Well...

I've got four 15" steel rims on order from HF (should be with me next week), I've just ordered a set of Nokian WR D3 winter tyres (Auto Express 2014 #1 winter tyre) from tyreleader.co.uk and will get local tyre fitter to fit tyres and balance - I should be looking at just under £400 all told. Will be able to change wheels over myself and have plenty of storage space.

Chatting to donnaj1dlh and now seeing this has made me wonder what the TPMS will do! I can live with an amber light but a persistent audible alarm... eek!

I've had winter tyres before and know how much of a difference they make; wanted to fit them to my new Mini as cheaply as possible. Roads in rural Fife aren't the best in summer and we live in one of the highest parts!

Banned
    Car
    F56 Cooper S
    I'm going to fit them to be on the safe side, since they cannot be disabled. I'd be naffed off if I didn't fit them and the car bonged at me constantly. Even at a£250 add on or so, it's still not a dear set of complete wheels.

I still haven't found out FOR CERTAIN if the alarm is visual or audible. Visual I can live with, audible NOT! Also I've read conflicting reports about lack of sensors affecting the cruise control etc. I wish I could get a definite response......

Traffic Light Racer tangledfeet's Avatar
    Car
    Mini Cooper
    I've not got cruise control so don't have to consider that!

I'm just reading through the manual and p81-83 doesn't mention any audible alarms at all - only the yellow warning light being illuminated...

(Fingers crossed!)

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Could (as a club ) not arrange for an F56 to be in the same place as a CM/PM (as I believe the wheels are interchangeable) and put a set of CM/PM wheels on an F56 and test it out ? It would answer the question once and for all ?!?!?

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    I know this sounds simple but ..
    Why not just get the wheels and tyres sorted (without the valves) and fit them to the car and try them out. If it just the light that's illuminated and you can cope with it job done, if there's an audible warning then change the valves. Not really a hard job to remove tyre and refit a new valve (does increase the chance of getting a rubbish tyre fitter that might mark a wheel) ..
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Found out the Info I was given Was utter crap. PCD for CM/PM IS 5x120. F56 is 5x112. Oh well that won't work