TPMS and aftermarket wheels

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Car
    F56 Cooper S
    A question regarding aftermarket wheels....
    Do any of you guys have aftermarket alloys fitted and no longer use tyre pressure sensors? Is it something that can be turned off or do you get an annoying error message all the time?
    I asked this question on another forum and I'm getting conflicting responses.

I'm planning for the future and thinking about ordering up a set of winter alloys/wheels but obviously don't want to spend the £1000+ MINI will want for OEM ones.

I have 17" wheels on my F56 MCS but 16"s were an option (so I know they could fit).

First conflicting advice I got was from the Service mannie at my dealer who lead me to believe the standard wheels don't have a pressure sensor in the wheels and the car calibrates when the cars driving blah blah ... I think this is wrong? I understand its a brand new model but I thought they'd know this stuff.

mytyres.co.uk now have packages available for the MCS ..... all be it on 16" wheels....
    6.50 J x 16 OS 50 DEZENT RE Matt black rims with Goodyear Ultragrip 8 Performance(with rim protection) 195x55xR16 87H
    all for £617! ...hence why I want to get them now before the price rockets in October with arrival of the first frosts!

Some others reckon I'll need a 'spignot' ring to make them fit as well.

other websites have 17" wheels available with my correct tyres 205x45x17s but how do I find out the actual dimensions of my rims?

I've never bought aftermarket wheels before and I want to make sure I get it right!! Surely I won't have to spend £100s more on sensors to fit to the wheels first? I really wanted to get a whole set to save me swapping tyres every six months as various tyre fitters made a right mess of my last alloys over three years.

Perhaps you guys can advise somewhere to go for some trustworthy advice ..... I'm in Aberdeenshire.

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    The tyre inflation sensor is calculated by the ABS, and if one tyre is turning slower than the other this would indicate a flat tyre and would show the warning light. This can be reset on the car by going into the menu through the BC button on the indicator stock (R56 would imagine very similar on F56, or if you have Media then there will be an option in the Vehical Information menu) this would need reset after replacing/ fixing a flat tyre or if changing the wheels and tyre on the car.
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

Banned
    Car
    F56 Cooper S
    Thanks Will, That makes more sense .... more like what the Service mannie said!
    When I got my wheels swapped over last Friday (to the correct ones I had actually ordered!) , I asked if the new 'sensors' had been recalibrated and he said "just drive and it'll do it itself" ...sure enough as every time I stopped at traffic lights the calibration paused.
    So I should be ok with different alloys then?

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    I would think you will be fine. Normally just a reset of the system required after changeover of wheels. I haven't heard Of them putting sensors in the wheels as William says all previous systems have been hub sensors linked to the ABS..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    All that would be required as said is a reset
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Car
    2018 Cooper S Works 210
    I believe the F56 does have sensors as the car knows what pressure is in each tyre now. Also the valve stems are different which is also leading me to believe they have sensors.

Car
    2018 Cooper S Works 210
    Donna do you have the last 7 digits of your VIN handy?
    Type in this site http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html
    You're looking to see if you have S2VBA tyre pressure display if you do then you'll need sensors. I think the other telltale is metal valve stems.

I checked Realoem and there are sensors if you have S2VBA

Car
    2018 Cooper S Works 210
    I asked my cousin who works at BMW, if you just have normal black rubber valve stems then you don't have sensors, if you have metal ones with a grey cap then you do.

Banned
    Car
    F56 Cooper S
    Thanks Eddie, I can check. I know that I have the metal valve stems (annoyingly they are silver on black wheels ....grrr!)

I can imagine if I go ahead with wheels I need to find out if I can cancel any resulting error messages. It'll be annoying to live with for 4-5 months!

(you can ask your cousin that too ... he sounds like a handy person to know! :) )

Car
    2018 Cooper S Works 210