Detailing new Blazing Red F56

Resident old yin.
    Hi all,

Pick up my new f56 Cooper in the next few weeks. I am planning on asking the dealer to not wash and wax it so that I can do it myself.

Do any of you have any tips on how to get the best look when new. I am looking for a regime that does not require too much effort to maintain and protect the paint.

I currently use Collinite wax and am happy with the results.

I was planning on giving the car a good wash and then a light clay using my soft bilthamber clay. Then simply waxing the car.

Does anyone have any better suggestions, perhaps a cleanse, polish or sealant (by hand) before waxing?

Thanks, KenL

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Hi Ken,

What your doing for a new car should be enough. I'd just make sure the paint is free of any contaminants before your wax - the car really shouldn't need a polish as it's brand new. I would give it a wipe down with IPA before applying the wax to ensure a perfect surface for the Collinite :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Resident old yin.
    Thanks Craig.

What Craig said, plus I'd maybe wash it with a Tardis solution as well to fully clean the paint

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Resident old yin.
    Would that stain the plastic trim at all?

Banned
    Car
    F56 Cooper S
    I used sealant on my metallic red RCZ and the fleck came up just amazing! I think Blaze would come up brilliantly too.
    You can always wax over sealant but not the other way about.

Using sealent (I can't find any up close photos!)....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000283-003_zpsf9495700.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	5260
    the week before I traded it in (not my camera)

Name:	IMG_5052LowRes_zpsdcf89c7f.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	5261

On that car, I swore by Werkstat Acrylic Kit from Polished Bliss. The MINI will come up better with wax I think.

Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    Would that stain the plastic trim at all?
    It won't stain it as such, but it will strip off any product on the trim.

But tbh you'll be applying your own trim product I'd imagine, so I wouldn't worry too much

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Looking forward to seeing the wee beastie!
    Drove past Parks MINI in Hamilton the other day and there was a BRG/White F56 COOPER (silver alloys) outside, and it looked quite FAB The more I see them, the more I think the F56 COOPER is a bit 'cleaner' looking than the S. Both look fine, but the COOP is just that we bit 'tidier', especially at the front.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Resident old yin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    It won't stain it as such, but it will strip off any product on the trim.

But tbh you'll be applying your own trim product I'd imagine, so I wouldn't worry too much

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Thanks. TBH I was hoping to not bother putting anything on the black trim. My r56 have not needed anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    Drove past Parks MINI in Hamilton the other day and there was a BRG/White F56 COOPER (silver alloys) outside, and it looked quite FAB The more I see them, the more I think the F56 COOPER is a bit 'cleaner' looking than the S. Both look fine, but the COOP is just that we bit 'tidier', especially at the front.
    Nice to see the f56 beginning to look more attractive to you. Why not have a wee test drive to see what you think from behind the wheel???

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    Nice to see the f56 beginning to look more attractive to you. Why not have a wee test drive to see what you think from behind the wheel???

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    Well I have to be pedantic (me? surely not!) and remind you that I've actually liked the F56 for quite some time now Ken (see previous posts in various places)
    It's all the other never-ending pseudo-MINI Niche-Filling Designer-Chic model proposals I can't get my head round.

I even specced up 'my' F56 S a while back... harking back to the colour scheme etc of my first COOPER in 2001.

Name:	COOPER S 2.0 .jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	5263

Had a seat in the S and COOP at the HF launch and thought both were very nice. I've also mentioned that despite loving the extra 'oomph' of the S that the F56 COOPER seems a really great bet for a day-to-day drive as it covers all the bases. Looks good, Quick enough, more Practical than the R56, Cheaper to run etc etc.

I would like to have a Test Drive, but deliberately haven't as no point at the moment. I'm still too attached to my R56 for driving/personal reasons and with Dad still in hospital, I'm afraid a new MINI's just not on the cards for now and I don't want to find out I love it when I can't have it! I already have Kylie for that

So I guess I'll just have to live vicariously through other folks' F56's for now

Last edited by ELFMAN; 26th June 2014 at 01:46 PM.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!