Xenon Headlights

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    So I bought a pair of pre facelift Xenon headlights for my mini cooper R50, the lights work fine when are swichted on before the car is started, however if I want to turn on the lights when the car is already started the headlights strobe like mad and don't stabalise.

From what I've read it is either inserting larger capacitors or programming the BC1 unit? To activate the xenon headlights.

Anybody ever had this issue or had xenon's on their cooper?

Thanks for looking.

Car
    R56 JCW Hatch, R60 JCW Countryman ALL4
    Not to sadden your day, but I think that could be tricky. I would say the BC1 will certainly need programmed so the car knows it has xenon's but also, I doubt the wiring loom will suit xenons. It's not that it won't cope because xenons draw less juice, but they do require a very stable flow of juice... capacitors will help with that, but I'm not convinced it's as easy as that.

Also, do you have head lamp washers? Because if you don't I'm afraid the xenons wouldn't be road legal as that is required.

Sorry I can't help, hopefully others can be more positive. Best of luck.

R60 Light White / Red Countryman All 4 John Cooper Works Auto
    R57 Chili Red Convertible John Cooper Works Auto

As Andy says, technically they won't be legal. But plenty of people have done this, it's either resistors or capacitors you need. Google it, sure you'll find something.

Also you won't be able to adjust the height of the beam

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    Mini Countryman
    As Andy & Mon say above if you are using the 35W OEM xenon headlights you legally require self levelling and headlight washers but you can buy 25W xenon upgrade kits which presumably because they are not so bright do not require the washers or self levelling. I presume it would be legal to fit 25W xenons in the light units you have but I am not sure whether the starter unit for the 35W bulbs would work on the 25W bulbs.

Regarding the BC1 you could fool it by adding a resistor so that the xenons are using the same current as the original lights, like a question from a physics exam at school !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP & Lenore View Post
    Not to sadden your day, but I think that could be tricky. I would say the BC1 will certainly need programmed so the car knows it has xenon's but also, I doubt the wiring loom will suit xenons. It's not that it won't cope because xenons draw less juice, but they do require a very stable flow of juice... capacitors will help with that, but I'm not convinced it's as easy as that.

Also, do you have head lamp washers? Because if you don't I'm afraid the xenons wouldn't be road legal as that is required.

Sorry I can't help, hopefully others can be more positive. Best of luck.
    Thanks a lot for the info bud, from what I've read from other forums is that you can place a capacitor or a resistor in the wiring and should work fine, the headlights come with the washers just need to get them wired up and the xenon's set up correctly.

You've helped me a lot bud appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    As Andy says, technically they won't be legal. But plenty of people have done this, it's either resistors or capacitors you need. Google it, sure you'll find something.

Also you won't be able to adjust the height of the beam

Yeah that's correct, if I can get the lights aligned professionally I should be fine?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mini mad andy View Post
    As Andy & Mon say above if you are using the 35W OEM xenon headlights you legally require self levelling and headlight washers but you can buy 25W xenon upgrade kits which presumably because they are not so bright do not require the washers or self levelling. I presume it would be legal to fit 25W xenons in the light units you have but I am not sure whether the starter unit for the 35W bulbs would work on the 25W bulbs.

Regarding the BC1 you could fool it by adding a resistor so that the xenons are using the same current as the original lights, like a question from a physics exam at school !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah think the capacitors and resistors is the way to resolve this issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks a lot for your help guys appreciate it

Xenons need to have washers and a self-levelling system by law.

Most MOT testers would miss that tbh

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Xenons need to have washers and a self-levelling system by law.

Most MOT testers would miss that tbh

Not all cars with xenons have wash fitted,may be a time limit on this as none of my Evo,s had it fitted from the factory, last one I had was 2006 so would not have needed mot until 2009
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Sure it's law now, the only reason they're fitted tbh as they're next to useless (the washers that is)

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Sure it's law now, the only reason they're fitted tbh as they're next to useless (the washers that is)

Yip really not that good
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Think this will answer all your questions ...
    The respective page from the MOT testers manual .. See method of inspection 2
    http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_170.htm
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.