Dull Thread of the Month Winner! Tyre Pressures...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Hi Folks.

The 'standard' pressure for 205/45/17 is 2.5 bar (not sure what that is in psi) according to my wee chart on the car. This seems a bit high to me and even on non-runflats can make things a bit jiggly (and not in a good way) on the bumpy stuff. Mentioned this to a couple of other NMS buddies recently, and I think the consensus was that it was indeed a bit on the high side. I'm certain I used to run them a bit lower until I spotted the 'correct' figure!

It'd be interesting to see what others running 17's have found. Obviously having the correct tyre pressures is fairly crucial, but I reckon going just a tad softer wouldn't hurt the tyres and might add a bit more composure over lumpy tarmac. Open to suggestions!

Sorry this is a pretty dull topic, so here's a nice picture of Kate Bush to cheer you up

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KB.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	5011

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    I run my NON run flats at 32psi /2bar

36psi is 2.5 bar
    New sig coming soon

Pah! The door jamb sticker for the 205/45-17 tyres on my Roadster says 2.8 bar, which is 41psi. And it definitely needs every one of those psi to give the best handling. I actually run my winters at 45psi.

I think there are some people who believe there is one 'good' pressure for all tyres irrespective of load or size - most tyre fitters seem to have a profound faith in 30psi as the 'right' pressure for every tyre.

I suspect the tendency for Mini owners to run lower-than-official pressures is that;
    a) they don't really ever corner harder than their gran, so don't care about grip;
    b) they wish they hadn't ordered sports suspension and are desperate for any softening of ride.

But I must say that lowering the tyre pressures on my (non-sports) car does nothing to soften the ride - if anything it seems slightly less crashy at full pressure.

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Quote Originally Posted by Angib View Post
    Pah! The door jamb sticker for the 205/45-17 tyres on my Roadster says 2.8 bar, which is 41psi. And it definitely needs every one of those psi to give the best handling. I actually run my winters at 45psi.

I think there are some people who believe there is one 'good' pressure for all tyres irrespective of load or size - most tyre fitters seem to have a profound faith in 30psi as the 'right' pressure for every tyre.

I suspect the tendency for Mini owners to run lower-than-official pressures is that;
    a) they don't really ever corner harder than their gran, so don't care about grip;
    b) they wish they hadn't ordered sports suspension and are desperate for any softening of ride.

But I must say that lowering the tyre pressures on my (non-sports) car does nothing to soften the ride - if anything it seems slightly less crashy at full pressure.

Not at all if you look at my build thread you will see I run fully adjustable suspension with all my camber set for fast road use has even been set up with me in the drivers seat for best road use I find my clubman is very skippy with the pressure at full whack and a lot more planted at 32psi

Now you ask any of the members here who know me know how I drive and they will tell you I don't tend to hang around and I have done the odd track day here and there
    New sig coming soon

^^ I'm in a similar boat to this (except R53) and I run 32f/33r after much trial and error

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    I'm with Mon and Stoney :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

32 all round for me ....on run flats and non run flats

Car
    "Tweaked" Mini ONE
    ^^^ same for me on non runflats
    The 19's on the Audi run at 36psi
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas Edison

Mutley - May 2003 Chili Red 'One'

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Sorry this is a pretty dull topic, so here's a nice picture of Bush to cheer you up

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KB.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	5011[/QUOTE]
    cant beat a nice bush
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

To be fair, this is one thing we can all change that can have a big impact on handling.

Forgot to mention I'm on Parada Spec 2's

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mon the fish; 27th March 2014 at 06:54 AM.

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs