coolant problem again

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mini Mad
    Car
    MINI COOPER S CLUBMAN
    hi John my car is a r56 08 plate with 63000 miles

- - - Updated - - -

hi there to answer your question badwolf340 the car is not using water,there is no mixing of water and oil,check when cold it only losses water when I stop and undo the cap but there is a lot of pressure here too

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by djlow1969 View Post
    hi John my car is a r56 08 plate with 63000 miles

- - - Updated - - -

hi there to answer your question badwolf340 the car is not using water,there is no mixing of water and oil,check when cold it only losses water when I stop and undo the cap but there is a lot of pressure here too
    high pressure would make you think head gasket ,but you have had that tested but have you had the water sniffed ?( traces of combustion gasses) or it may be a cracked head which others have spoken of ,and may get worse the more you drive car Is the heater giving out hot air or not ,as others have said ,has it been bled properly ?
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Mini Mad
    Car
    MINI COOPER S CLUBMAN
    heater is working as it should hot and cold air coming out ,,,how would you bleed it as I would have thought the garage would have done that when it was in the first time as the flushed out and added new antifreeze will have a sniff in the morning

Car
    X3 M competition,F56 GP ,F54 JCW white silver edtionTrafic Formula Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by djlow1969 View Post
    heater is working as it should hot and cold air coming out ,,,how would you bleed it as I would have thought the garage would have done that when it was in the first time as the flushed out and added new antifreeze will have a sniff in the morning
    sniff test is carried out by garage with the correct testing gear but in essence a mechanical probe sniffing the water
    The cars in front are New MINI Scotland

Sniff test can just use an exhaust gas analyser used in MOTs etc. it will show if thee are hydrocarbons within the coolant.

I think excess pressure can be caused by many things, such as it's running too hot, the pressure release cap isn't functioning correctly, the head gasket has gone, the head is cracked, the coolant system is clogged or the thermostat isn't opening fully.

Even though I had a cracked head, it want over pressurising the cooling system.

A certain amount of pressure is absolutely correct, once your coolant passes 100 degrees (water's boiling point at sea level), if your system was not pressurised, it would boil over once it reached 100 degrees. Conversely, if you headed up a mountain, water will boil at considerably less than 100 degrees.

I can run my engine from cold with the heater on full and the expansion cap off and it never reaches more than about 87 degrees and also never boils over. After a run it's a different story, the system will be pressurised and I risk a scold if I open the expansion bottle too quickly even when the engine has been switched off.

Sadly it isn't always easy to diagnose what's causing such problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mini Mad
    Car
    MINI COOPER S CLUBMAN
    did a check today with my mate car computer and it came up with a code saying p0597 which heads towards the thermostat sensor,housing but i was just wanting to know where the water goes too could be a leak in the matrix heater how knows,,,when you take the expansion bottle lid off slowly there is a lot of pressure there with boiling water hope to hear from you soon yours David

Car
    Mini Countryman
    The expansion bottle could be meant to be pressurised, somebody with the same model of Mini could confirm. If there is a pressurised cap on the radiator then there should not be any pressure in the expansion bottle but if the pressurised cap is on the expansion bottle then it will be pressurised.

I am still a bit confused as you said in an earlier post that it is not using water but in your last post you say there could be a leak in the heater matrix.

If the diagnostic equipment is flagging up a problem with the thermostat that is worth investigating, is it a sensor problem or the thermostat not working properly. If it is not opening properly it will reduce the flow of coolant through the radiator which would obviously cause overheating.

If the pressure is excessively high then as I mentioned earlier the coolant in the cylinder head might need bleeding as an air lock there would allow the coolant that is there to boil and this would increase the pressure. The garage should have bleed the coolant but possably they did not get rid of all the air.

There is also the possability as mentioned earlier that it could be a cracked cylinder head or leaking head gasket.
    Last edited by mini mad andy; 2nd March 2014 at 10:48 PM.

Mini Mad
    Car
    MINI COOPER S CLUBMAN
    goggle P0597 mini code

- - - Updated - - -

i am going to replace the thermosta and the sensor and see what this does failing that it is going back to the dealers as i can not take it any more

Car
    Mini Cooper S R53 & Mini Cooper Clubman R55
    Where did you buy this car from dude ? You mentioned in one of my posts a while back it was paisley but there's not a dealer in paisley ?

I'm sure I saw this car for sale at a garage near the Linwood end of paisley ?

Mini Mad
    Car
    MINI COOPER S CLUBMAN
    thats right mate Linwood Frank Gillmore garage