MINI Run Rules

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Monsta Mo Mini
    This was posted on M2 earlier.....
    Anyone got any views they'd like to share?

----------------------

MINI Runs – Behaviour, Etiquette and What to Expect

The last few runs have seen some incidents that have resulted in damage to MINIs and personal injury too – though fortunately not of a very serious nature. We have also had MINI2ers leaving runs mid-way through because they felt intimidated by the pace of other drivers and there has since been much posting and discussion about this. Let's now try and move forward in a positive fashion, learn some lessons from the last few months to ensure future events result in everybody going home at the end of the day feeling happy, in one piece, and with their MINI in one piece too.

This thread is to be purely informational, i.e. no off topic banter or debates about whether somebody else’s post is a good idea or not. It can then serve as a point of reference for both organisers of Runs, to assist them in establishing a consistent and safe format, and attendees of Runs to help them to know what to expect and how to behave for the benefit of themselves and other runners.

Some ideas below have already been used or suggested by other MINI2 users – so thank you to all contributors and apologies for stealing them and not acknowledging all of you but a particular nod does go to DietCokePlease for extensive input

Organisers

Include a link to this thread in your Event thread to ensure attendees are aware of what to expect

Take time to prepare the route, research it on a map, drive it yourself, time it, change it, do it again – be aware organising will take its toll on your time.

Always provide pace notes for attendees to enable them to follow the route if separated from the main pack – try and make this available at least 2 weeks before the event to allow for people going away on holiday etc

Provide as much detail as possible on the pace notes, signage, landmarks etc

Wear a badge that clearly identifies you as an organiser so people know whom they can talk to if they need assistance on the day

Get someone who has not done the route to dry run the pace notes to check for errors – there will be some !

Organisers should aim to arrive at the meeting point at least 30 minutes before the start time.

Organisers of runs should aim to hold the start point within close proximity to a petrol station to ensure all runners can fill their tanks, especially important for those that have travelled a long distance to get to the start point

If the event is atteneded by large numbers split the runners into smaller groups. More than 30 cars in one group is impossible to keep together so aim for groups no bigger than this.

Expect people to get lost on the day – if you have a large number of runners it will always happen

Provide a mobile number for emergencies, such as those lost above

Get helpers – ask for volunteers to help on the day, have them in the middle of groups as well as the front and back to make sure people are not getting lost

Identify known hazards, such as fords, hump back bridges etc., on the pace notes

Vary the road conditions so there is variety for all types of drivers, slow twisties, faster open winding roads etc. However it is best to avoid the main “A” roads where possible as, due to traffic volume, this is where groups tend to get split up

Include mileage between each turn/change of direction on the pace notes. Show this for each section rather than as an accumulative total for the whole run, i.e. zero the trip counter between each stage

Provide frequent re-group points along the route so if someone is lost or the group gets split they can arrange to meet the rest again at the re-group point

Make it clear within the Run thread and pace notes that people are expected to drive courteously, legally and safely – persistent irresponsible behaviour will not be tolerated and offenders should be asked to leave the run

Accept people do drive at different speeds to you, both slower and faster, so allow for it

Expect bo

Sponsor & Jakey
    I think we've covered most of these bases as the Scottish runs have evolved over the last year. Good set of guidelines though. Organistation and preparation goes a long way to ensuring a good day for all.

Yes sadly the last few MINI2 events have produced one or two 'incidents' :( This is certainly a concern as we don't want our little group to gain a reputation.
    Occasional MINI driver....... but mostly Uma Thurman ;0)

minidriver#1
    still unsure as to why people feel the need to overtake. i found myself trying to keep those in front in sight and myself in sight of those behind. we're all going to the same destination so whats the point in speeding ahead. I think the guidelines suggested about cover pretty much everything i could think of anyways.

AidenL
    Willy, you used wonder about Modding on M2..........The threads which prompted these guidelines have been the hottest, nastiest and most demanding I have seen in all my time.......dealing with double posts over the past two days would have been far more fun !

Linda M
    I'm quite happy with deleting double posts now :clown:
    Feel for you Aiden :)

Resident old yin.
    I hate to think that people will put themselves and other road users at risk on a MINI run. I've only been on one so far (Borders) and really enjoyed it. It was quick at times but only when safe to do so and I never felt under any pressure to take risks.

As for people overtaking on runs that's just stoopid and rude. I think overtaking should be banned on runs, anyone doing so should be asked to go home or not invited to attend another.

On speeding, although everyone does it at some time or another, in order to preserve the good name of MINIs it is worthwhile always keeping within the speed limit on organised runs.

Resident old yin.
    What were the incidents on the last few runs please?

Tony
    i agree,...

I think by the very nature of what a run is all about,...spped limits should try and be stuck to. a train of MINIs is not very subtle,...and a train of speeding MINIs is only going to draw attention to itself.

Ive attended some classic car runs in the past, with my old cooper,..and those things were always SOO relaxed.

Ive got to admit,...at this moment in time,..even though Ive attended car runs in the past,..and ive taken part in competative road rallies, im dubious about taking part in MINI runs until things calm down. Maybe these 'incidents' will serve to remind all of us that things can go wrong.

i suppose my concerns come from maybe not KNOWING the people that i would be driving with in convoy. to this end, surely smaller runs, with people that are all familair with the others driving behaviours would go along way to regaining confidence in everyone going out together.

just my thoughts,....

Banned
    Car
    GP 0878
    I have not read all of this thread yet as I think it will take a bit of reading,BUT whats this about things calming down??

Yes there was an incedent on the Cullen run but it was caused by one driver and everyone else was stationery..

He came around the corner and did not expect us to be stopped(big mistake I know)but all said and done it could quite easily have been done by a Joe Bloggs who was not even on the run.

And yes the old mini runs are a lot slower, but then old minis are a lot slower,and I should know cos I still drive them.

So long as everyone continues to drive within their own limits and does not try to be better than they really are then what the problem.

Lets not spoil the runs by having more rules than the Road Traffic Act.

:)when is the next run anyway???????????????????

Tony
    quote:So long as everyone continues to drive within their own limits and does not try to be better than they really are then what the problem.
    John, i quite agree, but surely,..well for me anyway, this is in itself the dilema.

It appears that from other various threads which were kicking around MINI2, many people were/ are getting nervous and scared by other MINIers driving close to or maybe beyond? there own limits.

Im all for it. im bang up for a good thrash. its been a long time. but what you said sits at the heart of how i feel about ALL runs.