Knock on startup and reversing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Car
    2007 R56 Cooper S
    Over the past couple of days I've noticed a vibration/knock when reversing and starting the car. There was also a buzz the other day like the exhaust was touching something. It sounds like somewhere below the gearlever. Before I get under the car at the weekend, is there a common problem with exhaust mounts or engine/gearbox mounts I should be looking for.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Mini by Name, Maxi by Nature
    MODS SO FAR....Twin Saikou Michi Oil Catch Cans:Iridium Spark Plugs:Sound Generator Delete:Intercooler Muffler Delete:LED Sidelights:Chrome Front Indicator Bulbs:FMIC:Pipercross Panel Filter:Stealth CAT:Viper Stripes...........

What kind of mini do you have? Facelift R53 upper engine mounts are rubbish, could be this

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    What kind of mini do you have? Facelift R53 upper engine mounts are rubbish, could be this

Pretty sure it's an R56 S?
    MINI F56 Cooper in Deep Blue with black roof and caps.

In that case I have no idea

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Car
    2007 R56 Cooper S
    Yeah, R56 S. Sorry, should have mentioned that.... It does feel kind of engine-mounty when I start her up.

MODS SO FAR....Twin Saikou Michi Oil Catch Cans:Iridium Spark Plugs:Sound Generator Delete:Intercooler Muffler Delete:LED Sidelights:Chrome Front Indicator Bulbs:FMIC:Pipercross Panel Filter:Stealth CAT:Viper Stripes...........

Car
    2007 R56 Cooper S
    I had a look under the car at the weekend. Exhaust seems sound with solid enough mounts. The bottom engine mount seems fairly secure if maybe a bit soft - and since being under the car it hasn't done the knocking on start-up again. However, this morning I've gotten the low buzzing again like something is lying against something else.......

I'm tempted to fir Powerflex bushes to the lower engine mount as a starting point here - any other suggestions?

Heat shield somewhere?

Car
    2007 R56 Cooper S
    Nah, nothing like that at all. I had the symptom all the way home tonight too. It actually feels like a rough idle now but the revs are steady at idle and there's no loss of power and no problems revving so I'm not thinking anything engine-wise. I obviously need to have a better look underneath this weekend again.

Banned
    Car
    GP 0878
    Duel mass flywheel?

Maybe crank pulley?