New windscreen required

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Resident old yin.
    Well, a stone finally got me. Got struck on the screen yesterday and thought nothing of it but this morning I noticed a curving crack about 10 cm long. It is down near the bottom under the passenger side wiper.

I expect I will go the autoglass route via insurance.

Anyone experience of this and what to look out for? I don't have a heated screen or auto wipers thankfully.

Thanks.

Car
    F56 Cooper
    In all my years of driving it has only been in a MINI I’ve lost a screen. In saying that when it hit I thought someone had shot a gun it was that loud.

Went to Autoglass and we talked, we tried the free resin route but it was just below the rear mirror. To be frank it still looked crap. So as we agreed if I tried the resin I could come back for a new screen if I was not convinced. Auto glass ordered the new screen and A pillars as it was best not to use the originals after they have been removed.

All happy it was nice a new and within weeks down in Yorkshire “Bang” but it was only small. Gave up in the end so my screen has a few wee chips but nothing to make me think it needs replaced.

Someone lets call him “Trigger” shot passed me on the HT on a road surface that kicked up loose stones, cut in and accelerated. So I have a few battle marks from that on the screen including I can only assume at the same time three chips on the bonnet going by the painful “ting, ting , ting” as he went passed. But hay its too much fun to grumble and lets face it they are there to be used and enjoyed.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

No experience of getting a screen changed on a mini, but after a track day at Crail (rough surface) I came away with a cracked screen on a MX-5. From that experience I would say that before you leave the fitting centre just make sure you're happy with the quality of finish around the edges on both the inside and outside of the car. Check the seal closely to make sure it has been neatly finished, and double check your paintwork..... I'm sure I ended up with an inch long scratch that wasn't there previously :(

Lost a screen on The Beast last year. Autoglass via our insurance company were excellent. Guy really knew what he was doing. They replace the A pillers automatically and we got new wiper blades thrown in. You also get a life time gtee. Top class service for £75 excess.

Resident old yin.
    Thanks for that weefossy.

I know you also live in East Lothian, where was the branch you used please?

Ken, insurance company gave me a direct number and I dealt through that. Not sure where the guy was located and I can't even find a receipt, which is unusual for me. Normally I keep everything. Apologies.

Car
    Mini Cooper
    Needed a new screen several times
    Auto glass just did it in the car park at work so not seen what they actually did but no fuss or mess made inside or outside the car.

Resident old yin.
    Quote Originally Posted by weefossy View Post
    Ken, insurance company gave me a direct number and I dealt through that. Not sure where the guy was located and I can't even find a receipt, which is unusual for me. Normally I keep everything. Apologies.
    Was it a mobile thing for you? That would be good if they came to my house. I have a week off in October, they could do it then.

Yes they did it on my drive / garage. Took them 3 days to order up the right heated screen with tint and rain sensor and then a couple of hours to do the work.

Resident old yin.
    Thanks.