Your thoughts on chrome scoop....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Quote Originally Posted by simonfr View Post
    Went in to Menzies today, but they quoted it as being a 2 hour job, and after the cost of the DRLs (supplied by them) it's looking to be in the region of £550 I can buy the DRLs (With the same part number) from Stratstone for £220, but it's not something I could fit myself.

Si
    Yep that's about right they say 250 for the lights and 250 for the fitting

It's shocking if you ask me !! It's the only reason I have not got them !!
    New sig coming soon

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Not too sure what's involved in the full job but £250 for fitting is excessive but think there might be a bit of drilling through the bulkhead and then wiring into the main ignition loom required ...

I'd stay clear of stick on chrome scoop but you could alway tone it down with an a la GP scoop sticker in the middle so only the outer edge is seen ... just a thought

At 8000rpm no-one hears you scream !
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Car
    F56 JCW GP, R55 Clubvan
    I wouldn't go with a stick on scoop, but if you like the chrome scoop get a replacment scoop every MINI is diffrent. About the DRL's I don't see the big thing with them I think they look awful and they cost a fortune
    Racing Grey F56 JCW GP 0370 - Chilli Red Mirror Caps, Custom OHC Alcantara Steering Wheel, Motech Performance By PiperCross Panel Filter, Custom GP Steering Wheel Spoke, Custom GP Stitched Carbon Side Scuttles, JCW Pro Mats, RSI C6 Carbonfibre Scoop, JCW Pro Stitched Carbon Boot Handle

Ice Blue R55 Clubvan - JCW Shiftlight, JCW Carbon Fibe Handbrake, JCW Carbon Fibre Dash, JCW Steering Wheel, Recaro JCW Sportster CS, CoolerWorx ShortShifter, BC Racing Coilovers, JCW Brembo 4pots, HEL Braided Lines, JCW Front Bumper, MINI Challenge Splitter, White Rota Blitz

There's a whole heap of things you could do to your car with £500. Lights wouldn't be my first choice

Feet were made to fit car pedals. If we were meant to walk, we'd have pogo sticks for legs

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Mon the fish View Post
    There's a whole heap of things you could do to your car with £500. Lights wouldn't be my first choice
    I agree! Nice Downpipe or Exhaust or Intercooler...
    I'd stay well clear of the 'stick-on Scoop'. As Ali said, If you really want a chrome one, go for the 'kosher' MINI version.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

ok, so I'm definitely not going for a stick on scoop. It's probably more because of concerns about durability rather than how it looks (each to their own, right?).

Regarding the lights, £500 is a lot, but I do like the look so may well get them yet. I'm done with performance mods having previously had a supercharged and tracked MX-5, although I have seen a CAI that looks quite good. Maybe I should just give the bank card to the wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simon

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I fitted a chrome scoop to my cousins Cooper S, given the fact that there is a lot of chrome already on the car, ie, mirrors, handles, boot handle, belt line etc the chrome scoop actually looks ok
    Just to throw a spanner into the mix

Quote Originally Posted by The Gismo Man View Post
    I fitted a chrome scoop to my cousins Cooper S, given the fact that there is a lot of chrome already on the car, ie, mirrors, handles, boot handle, belt line etc the chrome scoop actually looks ok
    Just to throw a spanner into the mix
    You can't put that and then not put up any photos

I was just browsing t'internet and came across a CAI on YouTube (think it was the AEM), but I've no intention of buying one :(

I doubt I'd manage to fit the DRLs myself. I can do basic car DIY, but taking a bumper off is beyond my realm of comfort (not on a 8 month old car anyway!)

Well, just couldn't help myself and bought a genuine BMW chrome scoop via eBay. Some Internet research suggests its easy to do, but that clips can be broken in the process. Anyone here fitted one and have any advice?

Simon

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Not fitted a chrome one but taken off and replaced plenty of others .. Simple really and only a matter of a few bolts and if your sensible you've no chance of breaking anything !

At 8000rpm no-one hears you scream !
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.