Side Lights

Going to attempt (for the second time) to change the sidelight bulbs to 'white light' Bosch ones this coming weekend.

First time, I tried doing the near side: got the cover off, managed to get my hand in then remove the connector, but couldn't remove the bulb, so had to take off the wheel and fiddle about.

The manual says turn the bulb anticlockwise to remove. I did that and lined up the lugs with the holes, but the bulb holder wouldn't release. Eventually had to give up and put things back together.

Any tips and ideas?

Car
    R53 chilli red
    I used a set of needle nosed pliers to turn the bulb. If you've got condensation they're a right pain to get out because of the corrosion inside. If you're really struggling there is a how to on removing them over on mini torque. Will make it a million times easier to replace once the light are off the car.

One half of Gobi and Sahara EcosseGP's Avatar
    Car
    F54 and F56
    Which MINI is it on ?

I intend to live forever ... So far so good !
    You only need two tools in life WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should use WD40 and if it moves and shouldn't use Duct Tape.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniiGP View Post
    Which MINI is it on ?

I intend to live forever ... So far so good !
    It's an R56 Davy. You have to go in via the wheel arch

Yep, its the second generation Mini.
    The last time I had to change a sidelight bulb, I was able to keep the wheel on, but it was very difficult to fiddle about to get at the light unit once I had managed to remove the wheel arch cover. Due to the size of my hands, I can only just squeeze them into the hole to get at unit and even then my hands get shredded.
    Sorry Mini, but that's one area of design feature that is a definite fail.

mikeythemini
    We are seeing loads of 2nd gen with sidelight holders that won't budge - the arch liner is very poor & sprays a lot of water at the rear of the lamp unit - the whole assembly eventually rots

Quote Originally Posted by boozeman View Post
    I used a set of needle nosed pliers to turn the bulb. If you've got condensation they're a right pain to get out because of the corrosion inside. If you're really struggling there is a how to on removing them over on mini torque. Will make it a million times easier to replace once the light are off the car.
    Thanks for the info. Will check it out.

Car
    R56 S in Dark Silver. Oh Yeah.
    You can also use the poorly designed arch liner to your advantage. Take a couple the expanding screws out and fold it back and will give you decent access. Had to use the plier method on mine.eventually the old unit fell to bits though so be prepared to replace if it's too far gone

Job done. Had to spray WD40 round the exterior of the bulb holders to get them to budge, but after some judicious twiddling they came out. Sprayed some GT85 lubricant on the bulb holders to stop the, sticking again.
    Pleased with bulbs, however one is slightly duller, but still much better than the 'blackened' halfords bulb that was replaced.
    Maybe opt for some LEDs next time.

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by d.oxley72 View Post
    Maybe opt for some LEDs next time.