Detailing day

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Well the little bald one and I decided our cars the two black beauties were now long over due a good detailing session to get rid of those bad winter memories and crap that accumulates onto the cars with road salt, tar etc etc, so a plan was hatched up and this past Saturday 13th was chosen as 'D' day (Detailing day, see what I did there ).

So got to baldies house about 10:30, got all the required items and products required for the day ready to use then by 10:45 we were under way with the job, and it went something like this:

1 - Get buckets filled up and ready to go.

2 - Hose down the cars to wash off the surface stuff, then get to washing the cars from TOP to BOTTOM in that order

3 - Hose down the cars and remove the soap.

4 - Dry the cars with microfibre towels (they do an excellent job)

5 - Now claybar the car with a brand new section of the bar (white in colour) and do the whole car a panel at a time, a long and tiring
    process but the results are amazing and so worth the effort. The once white bar is now a yucky brown almost black colour .

6 - Now refill the buckets with our chosen soaps AGAIN. (We each had our own different products)

7 - Hose down the cars once again

8 - Wash the cars once again so they're looking spotlessly clean.

9 - Dry the cars AGAIN!!

10- Now we put polish on our cars (once again using different products) and remove it once its set, a panel at a time. Will be trying
    baldies product next time because it doesn't leave a dandruff looking residue when removing like my autoglym stuff did

11- Now at long last it was time to put a coat of wax on and off(once dried) a panel at a time.

12- Finally 7 hours 45 mins after we started both cars are finished and looking AMAZING even if I do say so myself

Before we started:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wash 1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	4159

During the session:

Name:	Wash 2.jpg 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	4160Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wash 3.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	4161

And afterwards:

Name:	Wash 4.jpg 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	4162Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wash 5.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	4163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wash 6.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	4164

Well it was an extremely long day and were both pretty knackered and feeling sore (especially my right shoulder) but it was totally worth it and now wont need to be done again for a little while

Hope you guys and gals like my little write up of our day and hopefully it'll encourage some of you guys to do the same, except for possibly Alan

Car
    Full on JCW!! :)
    A wee update from me too...
    If you have a black (or dark coloured) car, I have to recommend some PoorBoys Black Hole as a glaze! After the claying, I used it on pretty much the whole car, then some Collinite 476 on top. Both go on really easily, and come off the same way. Like the big fud says, the Black hole leaves very little residue, and smells like grape! Bonus!

Couple of pics...
    Using the Black Hole, Before:

(camera didn;t want to focus on the reflection! Probably just as well, given the ugly mug in there )

And after some Black Hole:

Think that speaks for itself!
    Short of using a machine polisher, I think we did a no-bad job!

Couple more shiny shots..

and one with the latest wee mod

Oops.. missed one!

Last edited by Burple; 15th April 2013 at 02:08 PM.

Car
    2007 R52 S "Sh**ey White" & 2016 Skoda Yeti "Daily"
    Great write up guys. Need to show my cars some love soon, it's been tooooo long

Great job, love the wheels Ali

Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    Good Work lads!
    I'm feeling slightly guilty of neglect now...

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

lamdacore
    nice job!

(where did you get the dark rings for your front and rear light surrounds? )

Quote Originally Posted by lamdacore View Post
    nice job!

(where did you get the dark rings for your front and rear light surrounds? )
    Got my light rings from my mini dealer in September just before the prices went up, phew...

watching me, watching you gauldrymini's Avatar
    Car
    TBA
    Nice job fellas
    Deposit paid ... something new this way comes!

Car
    F56 Cooper
    Just what I needed to see and push me to do the car when I can. With the HT run coming up fast my car is a mess. Although I did promise I was not going to touch it till after it got serviced there.

Hats off, a friend got me the all in one Meg’s Clay kit and as the car is that wee bit older now I’m going to give it a try. Did you have to de Tar the cars as well? I have that as well plus the Iron X for the wheels that will add a bit of time.

The weather has been so rubbish and showery or just too dam cold so respect for getting that done both of you, the cars look great.
    Mini as it was. As it is. As it always will be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's up to you to decide if it counts!

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by zimbo View Post
    Alan has that countryman of yours ever seen a bucket and sponge or even water for that matter and I dont mean rain either...
    My daughter washed it with the 1 bucket method and sponge