"JCW/GP ONLY" Section

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Werther's Original & Sponsor ELFMAN's Avatar
    Larkhall, Lanarkshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
    I know I'm a bit slow, but I've just noticed there's a special "Just for You" section for certain MINIs!

Hmmm... not sure, but aren't we an "All for One and One for All" type of setup? The great thing about NMS is that no matter what type of MINI you own, you're on an equal footing. I have loads of JCW bits (arguably as many if not more than some 'Factory' JCW's ) and other mods, but my car is still 'just' a COOPER S, so therefore I'm sort of 'excluded'.

I must make it very clear that this isn't a criticism of any of my GP and JCW chums - who all know I have great respect and affection for them and their cars - and I certainly don't think it signals the imminent demise of NMS, but as an egalitarianist, I find creating elite (?) 'Sub-Sections' not totally in keeping with the NMS philosophy of Togetherness we all know and love.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Car
    R53 heavy moded
    Elf I asked for it to be set up due to the guy on the gp site saying he was going to close it down so Alan kindly let us camp out here till we could sort other things out so it was almost like a mini GP forum within NMS
    New sig coming soon

Banned
    Car
    GP 0878
    I'm with the Elf

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    I gave the UK GP owners somewhere new to go since their other home was threatened with closure.

So far the GP guys have significantly increased traffic through the site

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    If you read the announcement posted in every forum it clearly mentions that anyone can post in the GP section

I for one have enjoyed reading it and my next mini might well be a works so it interests me.
    LOVE LIFE,LIVE LIVI

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    Quote Originally Posted by ELFMAN View Post
    [B]I certainly don't think it signals the imminent demise of NMS, but as an egalitarianist, I find creating elite (?) 'Sub-Sections' not totally in keeping with the NMS philosophy of Togetherness we all know and love.
    There is no elite section whatsoever and I've no idea what that big word means

I wasn't trying to create divisions (my thread was intended as a wee 'nudge' to avoid that very thing happening!) so while I appreciate John's and Ali's 'agreement', I don't want it to become "I'm with one side or the other". As far as I'm concerned, we're ALL on the same side That was my point!

Having spoken to Rob in the past about the the GP site, I understand about the possibility of it closing. Obviously I welcome the GP guys and girls (as I have done on 'Introduce Yourself'), and love the cars. I don't have a 'problem' as such with the JCW/GP section, but just wanted to express a point of view of a 'non GP/JCW' NMS member, which might not be immediately apparent if you own a GP or a JCW.

Tam, if you're interested in finding out more about the Works, why not just ask - there are plenty of JCW folks who would give you excellent 'inside info' and advice, without the need for a 'dedicated' section for that purpose.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Gismo Man View Post
    I've no idea what that big word means If you read the announcement posted in every forum it clearly mentions that anyone can post in the GP section
    You should know what that 'big word' means Alan, you being in the States and all - it means "Friend of The Eagles"!
    Good to know I don't need a Guest Pass to get into the section though! I must have been off sick that day and missed that particular bit of info

- - - Updated - - -

So far the GP guys have significantly increased traffic through the site
    That's excellent Alan, but doesn't that prove that GP owners are generally more enthusiastic about their cars and therefore that positive enthusiasm might 'catch on' and spread throughout NMS if it was 'dispersed' rather than concentrated in its own area? Shouldn't it be used as a 'catalyst' rather than being 'quarantined' in a separate section?
    Just a thought...
    Last edited by ELFMAN; 12th April 2013 at 05:20 PM.

2008 R56 COOPER S, Pepper White, Black Roof, 'John Cooper' Signature Side and Bonnet Stripes, JCW 'Stage 1' Tuning Kit, Forge Intercooler, Milltek Downpipe & Sports Cat, ALTA Induction, Chris Knox/DNA Remap, JCW/Brembo Brakes, Limited Slip Diff, JCW Suspension and Front Strut Brace, 17" Crown Spokes with Non-Runflat 205/45x17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, JCW/Recaro leather Seats, JCW Sideskirts, Chili Pack, Front Spotlights. Still got my old Hendrix Badge blu-tacked to the dash!

Banned
    Car
    R56 FJCW
    The forum does not mention ONLY GP or JCW, the forum is open to everyone and anyone can and should post in there, i will not be creating a TM site where each model variant has it's own thread.

The forum does not mention ONLY GP or JCW, the forum is open to everyone and anyone can and should post in there, i will not be creating a TM site where each model variant has it's own thread.
    Sorry Alan, I'm confused now. I read the heading "Own a JCW or a GP then this area is just for you", which led me to think it was indeed a forum "just for them" - hence my thread.

Now, if as Stoney said, the area was set up on his request to help the GP guys in their hour of need, then that's an admirable thing to do, and it has my full support. BUT, if it's for non-GP JCW's as well, then isn't it just as you've described in the TM example? If there's a section for GPs and JCWs, why not a COOPER, a ONE, an S etc etc etc section? I don't mean to be a pain in the @rse, but it's either there to help out the GPs, or it's indeed a separate forum, (albeit open to everyone) for the factory-built high performance MINIs.

There's also now the fact that you have to check TWO forums to find out what's what - I have enough trouble keeping up with ONE!